Central Park Karen incident outcome

zarathustra

THE man targeted by Central Park banker Amy Cooper has broken his silence over the shocking fake 911 call but admits he can’t say if she is definitely a racist.

The 41-year-old hit the headlines after she called the cops on Christian Cooper when he asked her to follow the rules and put a leash on her dog.

Christian Cooper has said he is not sure if dog walker Amy Cooper is a racist
Christian Cooper has said he is not sure if dog walker Amy Cooper is a racistCredit: Facebook

The avid birdwatcher then filmed her as she falsely told cops there is "an African American man threatening my life" for a video which has now gone viral.

Christian spoke out as it was revealed Amy has received death threats in the wake of the high-profile incident.

The 41-year-old was fired from her high-powered job as head of insurance investment solutions at Franklin Templeton on Tuesday after being placed on administrative leave a day earlier.

The company tweeted: "Following our internal review of the incident in Central Park yesterday, we have made the decision to terminate the employee involved, effective immediately.

"We do not tolerate racism of any kind at Franklin Templeton."

However, Christian has said he can't see how her firing her deal with the issues blighting American society.

"I’m not sure how I feel about that," he told the New York Daily News. "I can’t see how that addresses the underlying issues.  I think it’s important to move beyond this instance and this one individual.

Amy Cooper falsely told cops Christian was 'threatening myself and my dog'
Amy Cooper falsely told cops Christian was 'threatening myself and my dog'Credit: Twitter
The 41-year-old has since been fired from her job over the incident
The 41-year-old has since been fired from her job over the incidentCredit: Twitter

"Too much focus has been put on her when it really is about the underlying issues that have plagued this city and this country for centuries. Racial issues."

And he said although he couldn't judge whether the banker is actually racist he does believe her actions were probably a sign of white privilege .

"Where she went was a racist place. That action was racist. Does that make her a racist? I can’t answer that.  Only she can with what she does going forward," he said.

"Maybe she was trying to gain an advantage. She went there, and she needs to reflect on what she did."

The Harvard graduate also revealed he is upset to hear Amy has been targeted on social media.

"I’m very upset she’s getting death threats. That’s antithetical to the appropriate response," he said.

"If you’re upset that she put my life in danger by trying to bring the cops down on a black man, then how can you turn around and make a death threat? That makes no sense. It’s downright awful."

The avid birdwatcher filmed the shocking incident in Central Park
The avid birdwatcher filmed the shocking incident in Central ParkCredit: Facebook
Amy Cooper has also lost her dog in the wake of he incident
Amy Cooper has also lost her dog in the wake of he incidentCredit: Twitter

Before she lost her job, Amy told CNN she wanted to "publicly apologize to everyone."

"I'm not a racist. I did not mean to harm that man in any way," she said.

"I think I was just scared. When you're alone in the Ramble, you don't know what's happening. It's not excusable, it's not defensible."

In the beginning of the minute-long video, Amy attempts to get a hold of her free-roaming dog as Christian, 57, asks her to place him on a leash.

Dogs are legally required to be leashed at all times in The Ramble, a protected wildlife area of the park commonly used by birdwatchers.

Despite this, Amy refused and a verbal confrontation quickly ensued, prompting him to film the encounter as she walked towards him.

"Please stop, sir I'm asking you to stop recording me," she demands in the clip.

"She adds: I'm going to tell them there's an African-American man threatening my life.

Christian responds: "Please, tell them whatever you like."

Amy is then seen backing away from the man as she makes good on her threat to call 911.

"There's a man, an African-American, he's recording and threatening me and my dog," she is heard telling the cops.

Melody Cooper (left) shared her brother's video on Twitter
Melody Cooper (left) shared her brother's video on TwitterCredit: Facebook

She then raises her tone while on the phone with police as she pleaded for help to be sent as soon as possible.

And after viewers contacted Abandoned Angels Cocker Spaniel Rescue about the treatment of the pooch, the rescue center has since confirmed the dog has been returned.

In a post on Facebook, it said: "Our mission remains the health and safety of our rescued dogs. The dog is now in our rescue’s care and he is safe and in good health."

The footage was shared online by Christian's sister HBO director Melody Cooper and quickly went viral - earning Amy the moniker "Central Park Karen".

Christian claimed in a Facebook post that he notified Amy of a sign that states dogs can't be walked in the Rambles of Central Park from 9am to 9pm because it's a protected wildlife area.

Christian claimed in his post, Amy reasoned that she went to the Rambles since the park's dog runs are closed and her pet "needs his exercise".

4 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

Chicago booth lo MBA chesindi, correct ga undunte she would have been in a high C level position.

Ippudu future motham mataash

may be oka 5 years setback

2 minutes ago, xano917 said:

may be oka 5 years setback

atleast, social media doesn't forget that easily. No one would want to take a risk by hiring her either

many people are not racist, but they use every advantage that the system gives them.

I don't know the right way to deal with people like this. 

I wouldn't have fired her though. Unless she exhibited such tendencies in the work place

she definitely deserves a lot of condemnation for her overacting.

2 minutes ago, TrollBait said:

many people are not racist, but they use every advantage that the system gives them.

I wouldn't have fired her though. Unless she exhibited such tendencies in the work place

FT fired her not so much because she might exhibit these tendencies at work(which I think she wouldn't), but to mitigate the social media firestorm that came their way.

Any employer would do the same and play it safe under these circumstances.

3 minutes ago, TrollBait said:

The ideal thing would have been for the person involved to sue her personally on the grounds of putting him in mortal danger, seeing what happened to another person in Minnesota around the same time.

It was clearly her intent to put him in grave danger by using her own privilege, and she should have been made to pay through her ass for that both in terms of money and community service.

15 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

Chicago booth lo MBA chesindi, correct ga undunte she would have been in a high C level position.

Just dog leash tho poyedaniki aunty peekala meedhaki thechukundhi..so sad..!

1 minute ago, mustang302 said:

She wanted to use her privilege into silencing him.

7 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

She wanted to use her privilege into silencing him.

Asual ga trumpcard play chayyadaniki tried, i mean victim card,didn't play well for her,lucky that everything is on film for him.

8 minutes ago, Aryaa said:

Asalu aa video choostey. Ikkada American gorrelu prathi daniki issue chestaru. 

Agreed...anything and everything in their favor

54 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

Birdwatcher video teesinodu Harvard grad

44 minutes ago, mustang302 said:

When ego comes into life equation life equation gets unbalanced