Desi gallu spelling bee

NaChavNenuChasta

As for those that are talking here about desis not having physical stamina to play sports, barring a few certain health conditions most people can handle any of the American sports .I have seen plenty of desi kids playing baseball and basketball at a pretty high level, until they decide to focus more on the academics side and give up the sports atleast at a professional level.

My own cousin used to play tennis in Ohio at a state level, and was ranked at one point among the challenger circuit. He however was also a top student and got an offer from a wall st law firm after completing his law degree, so gave up on tennis. If he had continued playing tennis and not gotten his law degree, he perhaps would have made it on ATP but the chances are that even a small injury at that point could derail your entire career.

Go read about "Mario Ancic", he was among the top 5 players of the world at one time and even defeated Roger Federer. Today he is a Wall St lawyer, he had a career derailing injury after which he went back to law school and got his law degree.

2 minutes ago, r2d2 said:

better than those stupid good for nothing Guinness records...

Yeah neethulu vallinchadanike bro, success in sports isn't that easy and it takes a lot of conditioning and training even at home to be able to do so.

Take the case of Serena and Venus, their dad taught himself tennis after watching Steffi win the Wimbledon one day and decided to make them tennis players. He was their only coach till they hit the big leagues, how many of our own commenters here are willing to put themselves through that level of dedication and training. Other factors like career aspirations, lack of time factor in as well.

7 hours ago, kevinUsa said:

manolla physical stamina ki saripotunda ???

something like rugby or football 

Rugby is a fringe sport in US, lol.

Good luck making a "career" as a rugby player in the US.

Most of the Indians (telugus) are first generation of immigrants and all they know is how they made it to America... obvious ga education helped everyone to get here.... so evvadiki telisina Vidya valla kids ki nerputharu... manaki vachindi chaduvu kabatti kids ni educate cheddam ane thinking first vuntundi...

mexican kids construction business loki ela mould avutharo mana kids kooda anthe...

it may take one or two generations to Indian immigrant kids to span across another fields for now we are in transformation... 

spelling bee provides school scholarships and make kids profile strong to get an admission into Ivy League schools... nothing wrong trying but forcing them would be a mistake 

I know few parents (non-Indian) they are happy to live in Indian communities so their kids will do good in schools...

3 minutes ago, LadiesTailor said:

Most of the Indians (telugus) are first generation of immigrants and all they know is how they made it to America... obvious ga education helped everyone to get here.... so evvadiki telisina Vidya valla kids ki nerputharu... manaki vachindi chaduvu kabatti kids ni educate cheddam ane thinking first vuntundi...

mexican kids construction business loki ela mould avutharo mana kids kooda anthe...

it may take one or two generations to Indian immigrant kids to span across another fields for now we are in transformation... 

spelling bee provides school scholarships and make kids profile strong to get an admission into Ivy League schools... nothing wrong trying but forcing them would be a mistake 

I know few parents (non-Indian) they are happy to live in Indian communities so their kids will do good in schools...

Ikkada comments chesinollaki antha understanding ledu le. Some of their own kids will try to enter into these competitions later in life with or without their approval, to better their own chances in life.

Appudu telustundi vallaki

52 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

Nothing wrong with it, if the kids are interested then why should the parents not let them pursue their goals? Also this gives them a huge advantage in getting coveted scholarships and admissions in prestigious universities for medicine, law degrees etc.

Most of you have no clue how bad it is due to affirmative action for these kids to get admitted into top programs with their background, neethulu cheppadaniki baane untundi we are not good at sports blah blah blah anesi I don't think any of you have extended family here that grew up in the US. My niece reached the finals of spelling bee a few years ago, that success helped her get some scholarships and completed a Neurosurgery program in NYU which is one of the top most programs for that specialization in the US. She was also a top swimmer winning plenty of medals throughout her school level career, however she didn't choose to be a competitive swimmer as a career. That doesn't mean she's un-athletic or bad at sports lol.

Today she's working as a resident in one of the top hospitals in NYC, all of which wouldn't have been possible with the affirmative action admission policies if she hadn't won that challenge and set herself apart.

I agree with affirmative action. Typical brown profile - extra courses, one namesake musical instrument, one namesake sport, 1600's in SATs, A's in course work, bogus volunteering work. Every goddamn Indian kid's profile looks similar and there is no diversity when it comes to college admissions. Indians have done things again and again so much they have beaten down the system.

Today I'm happy my work place is pretty diversified - I've an olympic athlete, former Navy seal, political advisor as my teammates and I learn so much from them (I'm sure I'll have very little to learn from one other brown brother). I'll share an example too, my friend at Uber lost his job recently and despite having a green card he went into depression and couldn't face a small failure.

I agree 1st gen doesn't know any other way to survive and had to become engineers or doctors. 2nd gen are meant to use the elevated platform provided by 1st gen to diversify and get into different areas like art, music, lawyers - DAs, cops, journalism, politics etc.

38 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

As for those that are talking here about desis not having physical stamina to play sports, barring a few certain health conditions most people can handle any of the American sports .I have seen plenty of desi kids playing baseball and basketball at a pretty high level, until they decide to focus more on the academics side and give up the sports atleast at a professional level.

My own cousin used to play tennis in Ohio at a state level, and was ranked at one point among the challenger circuit. He however was also a top student and got an offer from a wall st law firm after completing his law degree, so gave up on tennis. If he had continued playing tennis and not gotten his law degree, he perhaps would have made it on ATP but the chances are that even a small injury at that point could derail your entire career.

Go read about "Mario Ancic", he was among the top 5 players of the world at one time and even defeated Roger Federer. Today he is a Wall St lawyer, he had a career derailing injury after which he went back to law school and got his law degree.

probably these ppl don't know the Uberoi sisters, 

the percentage of desi american kids going to spelling bee is not worth discussing and saying Indian american kids don't do well in other things. 
well some parents try to emphasize academics as #1 focus but I have seen lot of desi kids that are trying out different things on their own, its just wrong stereotyping ABCDs. 

6 minutes ago, falconspyder said:

I agree with affirmative action. Typical brown profile - extra courses, one namesake musical instrument, one namesake sport, 1600's in SATs, A's in course work, bogus volunteering work. Every goddamn Indian kid's profile looks similar and there is no diversity when it comes to college admissions. Indians have done things again and again so much they have beaten down the system.

Today I'm happy my work place is pretty diversified - I've an olympic athlete, former Navy seal, political advisor as my teammates and I learn so much from them (I'm sure I'll have very little to learn from one other brown brother). I'll share an example too, my friend at Uber eats lost his job recently and despite having a green card he went into depression and couldn't face a small failure.

I agree 1st gen doesn't know any other way to survive and had to become engineers or doctors. 2nd gen are meant to use the elevated platform provided by 1st gen to diversify and get into different areas like art, music, lawyers - DAs, cops, journalism, politics etc.

cannot agree more,  one of my IT admin is a former army guy from south africa, so much to learn just an example. 

7 minutes ago, falconspyder said:

Today I'm happy my work place is pretty diversified - I've an olympic athlete, former Navy seal, political advisor as my teammates and I learn so much from them (I'm sure I'll have very little to learn from one other brown brother). I'll share an example too, my friend at Uber eats lost his job recently and despite having a green card he went into depression and couldn't face a small failure.

I would take your opinion seriously if you were one of those academic advisors, that said I do agree to a certain extent about a lot of them being fairly homogeneous. However, there are differences even among profiles that tick all the right boxes, and participating in these spelling bees is perhaps one way for these profiles to get a one up over the other one. All the above is due to a hyper charged drive Indians and Asians have for academic success, if we were to step back a second and smell the roses maybe people wouldn't be as driven to compete as much as they do right now. 

And I do believe that's going to happen from the second generation onwards, it's only logical to assume so based on how every ethnic group has integrated itself into the US. Dissing and criticizing these kids who are mostly kids of first gen Indians who came here as tech workers is only showing the cluelessness of some of the posters here. 

4 minutes ago, Michaelbarbosa said:

probably these ppl don't know the Uberoi sisters, 

the percentage of desi american kids going to spelling bee is not worth discussing and saying Indian american kids don't do well in other things. 
well some parents try to emphasize academics as #1 focus but I have seen lot of desi kids that are trying out different things on their own, its just wrong stereotyping ABCDs. 

It's one of the favorite pastimes of the arm chair critics in this forum to do so, and gloat in their own self imposed limitations and ascribe them to anyone else they can. Example: ABCD kids are bad at sports, they are awkward socially etc etc etc. Most of the ones that make such comments are the same people that can't wait to throw money at "shopping"(as they call it). 

9 hours ago, NaChavNenuChasta said:

Manollaki especially telulgollaki endukantha pichhi spelling bee ante ..weekend spelling the dream chusa Netflix lo dadapu andaru telugolle..spelling bee valla emanna upayogam unda?

NA CHAVU NENU CHASTHA ANI kids TELLING UNCLE...

manmu edaina sadinchi pakkanavallaki cheppali ... vallu speeling bee champs yyaru hope indians are good good atleast in some talents...

19 minutes ago, falconspyder said:

Today I'm happy my work place is pretty diversified - I've an olympic athlete, former Navy seal, political advisor as my teammates and I learn so much from them (I'm sure I'll have very little to learn from one other brown brother). I'll share an example too, my friend at Uber lost his job recently and despite having a green card he went into depression and couldn't face a small failure.

tennis ki luck an dhard work fitness kavali .... career ye pothundhi edain injury avuthay 

Example of parents over involvement and false projection of projects so that kids get good admits. 

https://such.forumotion.com/t13224-genius-invention-or-handiwork-of-ambitious-parents (for this work Eesha Khare got into MIT)

Now, here is an interesting rebuttal type of comment about this:

"Her work is neither novel nor revolutionary. She made an electrochemical capacitor, which is halfway between a battery and a capacitor. The device still fits on a Ragone plot, the power density is lower than a capacitor and higher than a battery, while the energy density is lower than a battery and higher than a capacitor. I am not criticizing this promising student, but the system that allows her parents to game it. Don't believe me? look up her father Manoj Khare, who is an electrical engineer. Her mother is a biochemist, and Eesha's previous science fair entry is on molecular biology. I think it is so important for her parents that she win, that they are robbing her of the opportunity to do something original, on her own, even if it doesn't result in overhyped publicity. There are many examples of people this age (K.F. Gauss, Steven Wolfram), and younger, making original contributions to science, this is not one of them--and it shows how far our standards have fallen in science--it's basically a participation award. It's easy to say sour grapes to the negative comments, but would you give a literature reward for someone who paraphrased a Tolstoy novel??"

7 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

It's one of the favorite pastimes of the arm chair critics in this forum to do so, and gloat in their own self imposed limitations and ascribe them to anyone else they can. Example: ABCD kids are bad at sports, they are awkward socially etc etc etc. Most of the ones that make such comments are the same people that can't wait to throw money at "shopping"(as they call it). 

u nailed it. 

for lots of ppl everything is in reach just throw some couple of hundred dollars or thousand dollars.