Tendulkar vs Dravid

TrollBait

3 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

Dravid was a better overseas batsman than Sachin, and he was well ahead of him on seaming tracks. Check out their performances in England which has the most seaming tracks, Dravid also did exceptionally well in South Africa which has bouncy tracks.

That said, it's a close one between these two. You also have to consider the fact that Dravid consistently came at No 3 compared to Sachin who came after him. So Dravid had to play the dual role of a sheet anchor if the openers get a good start or play the early new ball if one of the openers departed soon, which he did with exceptional elan. Most of the greats usually have batted at No.3 including Sir Don Bradman, Sir Gary Sobers etc. That goes a long way in determining the greatest lists.

Sachin is naturally more talented as a batsman no one's arguing that, but Dravid has a temperament which compares favorably with the greats of any time in cricketing history, no wonder he was a lynchpin of our batting esp in hostile overseas tournaments.

Also consider the fact that one of those openers for the most part of his career since 2001 was a certain Virender Sehwag, who is one of the most mercurial openers of all time if not the most.

So Dravid had to always be prepared to come facing the seaming new ball in overseas conditions.

14 hours ago, zarathustra said:

Also consider the fact that one of those openers for the most part of his career since 2001 was a certain Virender Sehwag, who is one of the most mercurial openers of all time if not the most.

So Dravid had to always be prepared to come facing the seaming new ball in overseas conditions.

Ltt

16 hours ago, zarathustra said:

hmm... I just checked Sac avg in England - 54 (not something to scoff at)

vs Dravid - 68

I just think Sac at his best, was better than Dravid at his best as compared with peers.

Sac was past his prime by the time Dravid hit his stride. But in his time Sac was imperious and towered above his contemporaries at that time. Dravid was very very good, and so were others along with him.

ofcourse the GOAT is Steven Smith. No questions there. hehe...

16 hours ago, ganesh said:

Irrespective of the numbers we need to respect both...talent wise tendulkar and Lara were way ahead of their peers.. sheer joy to watch..

I have a slight hatred of Dravid, but that's because of my unconditional love for Tendulkar. ofcourse Dravid is on par with Tendulkar at tests. A lot of people claim that Dravid leaves Tendulkar in the dust in tests, which is not true.

16 hours ago, zarathustra said:

Dravid was a better overseas batsman than Sachin, and he was well ahead of him on seaming tracks. Check out their performances in England which has the most seaming tracks, Dravid also did exceptionally well in South Africa which has bouncy tracks.

Dravid has an avg of 29 in 11 tests in southafrica. it sticks out like a sore thumb in an otherwise great overseas record. Dravid also has a below par avg in Australia.

Sac has 46 in 15 tests

anyway, Dravid played part in some great victories, whereas Sac is more consistent and dependable, especially when Indian team was a bunch of nothing in the 90s.

1 minute ago, bostonbro said:

Both are like two eyes. Decent and stylish.

Dravid is decent, even may be one of the nicest cricketers (that is as far as his uppercaste upbringing allows him to be nice without pissing off his relatives with the truth that they are all crap, ofcourse). Tendulkar is craven. He's disgusting.

but batting wise Tendulkar is god. Dravid is a great warrior.

21 minutes ago, TrollBait said:

Dravid has an avg of 29 in 11 tests in southafrica. it sticks out like a sore thumb in an otherwise great overseas record. Dravid also has a below par avg in Australia.

Sac has 46 in 15 tests

anyway, Dravid played part in some great victories, whereas Sac is more consistent and dependable, especially when Indian team was a bunch of nothing in the 90s.

Yes his success in SA was quite inconsistent, he started well with that 1997 tour but hasn't hit the same high since then on SA tracks. I think he relished the English seaming tracks more than any other, also I think he was great on the tracks of West Indies. Sorry I hadn't checked his record on SA tracks but thought of him being pretty successful on those surfaces as well, guess I was wrong on that. 

I wouldn't say Dravid left Sachin in the dust as far as overseas records are concerned, they are for the most part pretty comparable. However, Dravid played in a more crucial position(no.3) and was the lynchpin of Indian batting along with Tendulkar for the most part of the 00s. Also I don't think Tendulkar was past his crime by the time Dravid hit his stride, Tendulkar's peak came in waves although he was for the most part very consistent throughout his career. 

17 hours ago, ganesh said:

Irrespective of the numbers we need to respect both...talent wise tendulkar and Lara were way ahead of their peers.. sheer joy to watch..

Tendulkar and Dravid were to India what Lara and Chanderpaul were to the West Indies, of course no other person in the Windies team barring Carl Hooper during the mid 90s to early 00s even deserves a mention(Jimmy Adams at times perhaps does deserve one).

I think while people mostly look up to Lara, no one gives Chanders(chanderpaul) the due he deserves. He was for the most part of the career he played, the lynchpin of Windies batting along with Lara. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

Tendulkar and Dravid were to India what Lara and Chanderpaul were to the West Indies, of course no other person in the Windies team barring Carl Hooper during the mid 90s to early 00s even deserves a mention(Jimmy Adams at times perhaps does deserve one).

I think while people mostly look up to Lara, no one gives Chanders(chanderpaul) the due he deserves. He was for the most part of the career he played, the lynchpin of Windies batting along with Lara. 

absolutely Chanderpaul soldiered through one of the worst phases for WI in test cricket. shame he's not held in high esteem in regular discussions.

now, WI have pretty much given up on test cricket. so nothing to look at there.

3 minutes ago, TrollBait said:

absolutely Chanderpaul soldiered through one of the worst phases for WI in test cricket. shame he's not held in high esteem in regular discussions.

now, WI have pretty much given up on test cricket. so nothing to look at there.

I am a huge fan of Jimmy Adams too, he's perhaps the greatest batsman to be able to stick to the crease like glue while having no intention of socring runs at all. I find that quite an impressive feat. And to think he came into the team as a bowler but is known more for his batting. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

I am a huge fan of Jimmy Adams too, he's perhaps the greatest batsman to be able to stick to the crease like glue while having no intention of socring runs at all. I find that quite an impressive feat. And to think he came into the team as a bowler but is known more for his batting. 

Padams man.... with current UDR system... enni outs undevo..

1 minute ago, reality said:

Padams man.... with current UDR system... enni outs undevo..

only 2 appeals no? won't make much difference anukunta.