Keeping STEM Ph.D.s

DonnyStrumpet

2 minutes ago, betapilli said:

Not so much scene, a lot of my friends have GCs and work for 40k in the midwest. 

nuvvu GC , 40K antee naaku 2 years back jarigina oka incident gurthu vochidni 

I met a person in 2019 holy celebrations in San diago ... maaa friend valla relative ... moved to san diago ani cheppadu ....he did post doc in USA and after GC he moved to industry job in San diago area ... matallo he was telling to someone that his compensation package is around 500K excluding stock options , we were like  wow .....

6 minutes ago, sri_india said:

I met a person in 2019 holy celebrations in San diago ... maaa friend valla relative ... moved to san diago ani cheppadu ....he did post doc in USA and after GC he moved to industry job in San diago area ... matallo he was telling to someone that his compensation package is around 500K excluding stock options , we were like  wow .....

Biomedical industry ayite 150-200k easily, postdoc ayite midwest lo 40k east and west coast lo around 70k. Not more than that. 

7 minutes ago, sri_india said:

If PhD GCs register in matrimony websites they will have high demand with H1B IT people, but most people I know who did a PhD ended marrying people from other countries instead of fellow Indians. 

Just now, betapilli said:

Biomedical industry ayite 150-200k easily, postdoc ayite midwest lo 40k east and west coast lo around 70k. Not more than that. 

he is into pharmacy anukuntaa , if I remember correctly ... like manager/scientist position anukuntaaa ....

1 minute ago, betapilli said:

If PhD GCs register in matrimony websites they will have high demand with H1B IT people, but most people I know who did a PhD ended marrying people from other countries instead of fellow Indians. 

phd time lo manasulu kalisipothayaaa :3D_Smiles:

1 hour ago, betapilli said:

Sad truth, our people care more about money and less about education. 

chinese can afford PhDs lot of them get funding from businessmen in China

Just now, dasara_bullodu1 said:

chinese can afford PhDs lot of them get funding from businessmen in China

Indians also can afford PhD. In the US you don't have to pay to do a PhD, you get paid between 35-45k in stipend in most schools. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, betapilli said:

Indians also can afford PhD. In the US you don't have to pay to do a PhD, you get paid between 35-45k in stipend in most schools. 

Not majority.... there are people who leave postdoc to get a job after few yrs

I saw Chinese professors helping many students to get into Qualcomm and help with funding to work under them.

Just now, dasara_bullodu1 said:

Not majority can Phd but not for many people .. there are people who leave postdoc to get a job after few yrs

I saw Chinese professors helping many students to get into Qualcomm etc

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Indians go to industry after PhD as well, similar to people from other countries. In fact, more Indians go to industry after their PhD when compared to people from other countries. In general Indians get jobs in industry easier than Chinese students who do a postdoc instead.  

5 minutes ago, betapilli said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Indians go to industry after PhD as well, similar to people from other countries. In fact, more Indians go to industry after their PhD when compared to people from other countries. In general Indians get jobs in industry easier than Chinese students who do a postdoc instead.  

PhD takes many years ... Indians can't live with 35-40 k except for some exceptional cases.

Chinese built academic ecosystem thanks to their industrial prowess in China ... they bring bright students to work under some profs and provide a placement path to matching companies in US. Further these companies and University research get funded by Chinese businessmen to grow it further. I first hand saw this in college, we don't have such path and totally left to ourselves ...