Keeping STEM Ph.D.s

DonnyStrumpet

5 minutes ago, dasara_bullodu1 said:

PhD takes many years ... Indians can't live with 35-40 k except for some exceptional cases.

Chinese built academic ecosystem thanks to their industrial prowess in China ... they bring bright students to work under some profs and provide a placement path to matching companies in US

I don't know why you think the former is the case and the latter part is your imagination. Indian students have good opportunity in industry as well. 

Let's talk about the math, for someone with a Masters if they finish Masters by the time they are 23/24, they will be in about 50-100k debt. For a PhD, you finish when you are 25/26, you still save between 50-100k. By the time someone with a Masters gets a job and clears their student loans and begins saving 50k, they will be 27/28. 

1 minute ago, betapilli said:

I don't know you think the former is the case and the latter part is your imagination. Indian students have good opportunity in industry as well. 

Let's talk about the math, for someone with a Masters if they finish Masters by the time they are 23/24, they will be in about 50-100k depth. For a PhD, you finish with you are 25/26, you still save between 50-100k. By the time someone with a Masters gets a job and clears their student loans and begins saving 50k, they will be 27/28. 

Uff ... how many Indians get PhD without doing a Masters here ?

1 minute ago, dasara_bullodu1 said:

Uff ... how many Indians get PhD without doing a Masters here ?

I don't know the number, but it's not as high as Chinese students because Indians don't have research experience in undergrad. 

20 minutes ago, betapilli said:

I don't know the number, but it's not as high as Chinese students because Indians don't have research experience in undergrad. 

At the end of the day most indians dont forget their roots. We come from a third world country and for us prosperity is  more important than anything else.

It's part of our epigenetics that's ingrained in us. Period. 

22 minutes ago, betapilli said:

PhD from Chinese undergrad might be higher, Indian research standards are very low.. problem start there

8 minutes ago, veerigadu said:

At the end of the day most indians dont forget their roots. We come from a third world country and for us prosperity is  more important than anything else.

It's part of our epigenetics that's ingrained in us. Period. 

What is our roots? Staying close to our roots doesn't mean we only care about money, in fact going after money is not our roots, it's something that's happening over time. Atleast in Andhra, people used to respect someone with a good education over someone with a lot of land back in the day, now it's not like that anymore. 

1 hour ago, dasara_bullodu1 said:

PhD takes many years ... Indians can't live with 35-40 k except for some exceptional cases.

Chinese built academic ecosystem thanks to their industrial prowess in China ... they bring bright students to work under some profs and provide a placement path to matching companies in US. Further these companies and University research get funded by Chinese businessmen to grow it further. I first hand saw this in college, we don't have such path and totally left to ourselves ...

+1 ... Indians have more urge and urgency to make money.

China also maintains a pool/database of students interested in pursuing PhD's. If you are a professor, you can easily pick someone from there. Same is not the case with India.

1 hour ago, betapilli said:

Our bachelor’s degrees are merely extensions of intermediate..

2 minutes ago, betapilli said:

Not everyone though, IISERs are doing well, so is IISc. 

That is like very few courses and students though..

They should analyze research papers in under grand itself. If they aren’t then they might as well be community colleges.