Earthquake tremors felt across Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir, Delhi NCR; epicentre Tajikistan, 6.3 magnitude

Kool_SRG

Tremors felt in Amritsar, Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Delhi-NCR following 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Tajikistan

earthquake, earthquake delhi, earthquake today, tajikstan earthquake, earthquake punjab, earthquake kashmir, earthquake right now, earthquake today,tremors delhi, earthquake in punjab, earthquake jammu kashmir, delhi earthquake

People came out of their houses after sensing tremors in Delhi-NCR. (Express photo)

Earthquake today: Tremors were felt in several parts of northern India including Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab and national capital New Delhi late Friday evening.

While initial reports by the National Centre for Seismology (NCS) suggested it was a magnitude 6.1 earthquake with an epicentre in Amritsar, Punjab, it later issued a clarification stating there was just one earthquake – with an epicentre in Tajikistan – having a magnitude of 6.3 on the Richter scale. The earthquake occured at around 10.40 pm.

While strong tremors were felt across several parts of northern India, there have been no immediate reports of destruction or casualties though people rushed out of their homes as the tremors were followed by strong aftershocks.

Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh tweeted, “No reports of any damage so far in Amritsar or other parts of Punjab following the #earthquake. Top officials of @PunjabPoliceInd & local administration are keeping a close watch on the situation. Praying for everyone’s safety.”

Former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah tweeted: “Not since the earthquake of 2005 have the tremors in Srinagar been bad enough to force me out of the house. I grabbed a blanket & ran. I didn’t remember to take my phone & so was unable to tweet “earthquake” while the damn ground was shaking.”

A low intensity earthquake of magnitude 3.5 on Richter’s Scale was recorded in Jammu and Kashmir on February 8. Another low-intensity earthquake of magnitude 2.8 hit Delhi on January 28 earlier this year.

According to reports, tremors were also felt in Pakistan’s capital Islamabad and major cities of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab provinces and Pakistan occupied-Kashmir. PML(N) leader Maryam Nawaz Sharif tweeted, “Mighty earthquake. Hope and pray everyone is safe. May Allah protect us all. Ameen.”