11 brutally honest reasons millennials don't want kids

betapilli

As a female of nontrivial childbearing age who doesn't want children, let me tell you why I personally can't stand the idea of having kids. (Also, it's kind of ironic: the only people who tell me that I Will Change My Mind Suddenly When I'm 30 (tm) are men. Heh. I intend to win that bet.)

1. I don't like the set of behaviors that kids naturally show.

I actively dislike being around children. They have high pitched voices permanently set to Loud, which physically hurts my sensitive ears. They scream and cry at absurd things, which frustrates me to no end. They try to pull heartstrings and throw tantrums to get their way. They can't engage in reasonable conversation; instead, I have to talk down to them because their idea of a good conversation is pointing out obvious things or mouthing off about boring topics they somehow find interesting. Their dialogue is stilted and hard to follow.

2. I find taking care of children to be disgusting.

I refuse to take care of any creature whose poop will physically touch my skin. It's repulsive to the point of nausea. But I hear from parents that babies will poop, piss, and vomit all over them. That is so revolting that I can't imagine what it would ever take for me to have this kind of experience. At this point I'm somewhat convinced that most people are under hormonal mind control or something. Seriously. You are being shat on. WHY.

3. I don't want to spend 18 years of my life taking care of something.

Enough said. Childbearing age, accounting for normal American adulthood practices, is basically 18-35. These are the prime years of my life. Why would I ever spend them on something else, something I can't renege on should I decide no, I do like my career/husband/etc. better?

4. Pregnancy seems like a nightmare.

You're forced to share your body with a parasite that will drain nutrients from you at the cost of you becoming exceedingly fat, stretching out your skin permanently, having your breasts swell and hurt, and having to throw up every morning, and at the end of all of it, you have to go through a horrendously painful process that will permanently damage your body. I shudder just thinking about it. It sounds like a literal nightmare I might have on a bad night.

5. Kids suck up money.

Enough said. I want to spend my money on myself or things I had a choice about. When your kid is born, no more choices.

6. I would be a horrible parent.

I have angry instincts that I have to control. If someone pisses me off and I can't escape, my first impulse is to resort to things like a slap in the face to wake them up out of their stupidity. I had to babysit my sister's kids for a summer, and I nearly screamed their ears off. I get impatient, and I get depressed, and I get all sorts of things that kids don't care about. Kids care about themselves. I cannot drop my life to provide for them without becoming bitter, resentful, and angry.

7. My genetics suck.

I have a family history of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney cancer, depression, anxiety, and suicidal tendencies. In no way am I passing this on. That's my personal decision about the gene pool I want to see.

8. I refuse to be responsible for someone else's moral compass.

I would go insane trying to make my kid be a good person. I think I would quite possibly destroy myself if I realized that my kid turned out to be a criminal or something. I would consider it all my fault, and I might very well consider some very unfortunate fates for myself at that point. I do not want the burden of making sure someone else turns out to be a functional, decent human being.

9. There is an off-chance I would end up having to care for a special-needs child, which I am in no way mentally equipped to do.

I am thrilled that there are folks out there who can take care of special-needs kids. I am not one of them. I would never be able to handle that amount of dedication.

10. I don't get to choose the personality or interests of this person, yet I am saddled with them for many years.

I don't like talking to boring people. Boring, by my definition, is basically anyone who is not interested in anything I can find interesting. What if my kid loves sports with a passion? I can't stand talking about sports. What if they end up being the perfect storm of nothing I enjoy communicating with? I have no idea how I'd even handle that. I am very picky about people I am friends with, or who I associate with on a routine basis. I can afford to be, so I am, and I don't consider it a bad thing. But with kids, I have no idea what I'm getting. So best to not even approach that.

I realize most of this makes me seem fairly selfish. I guess I am. I want to keep my resources, time, and friends to myself. I don't make commitments that I'm not sure about. But I have zero maternal instinct, and I don't really understand the concept of being delighted by children. In the end, I think it's a great idea that I remain child

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chay said:

no offense but this post is worse than your vlog thread posts..  

I think my reasons are different than this post, I am thinking I have some kind of vyragyam. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, betapilli said:

I think my reasons are different than this post, I am thinking I have some kind of vyragyam. 

I think bahubali lo avanthika ki tagilinattu.. evadaina manchi pulihora abbai tagilithe anni feelings ave malli activate aipothai.. 

10 minutes ago, sri_india said:

ninnu nuvvu justify chesukovadaniki , eee post lu anni ... when you made up your mind why you even search about not having kids in internet .....thats ok , its your choice #mychoice

I am not necessarily justifying. I am trying to understand if it's because I am selfish, or it's because I am scared. 

Based on my experiences in my life, na parents ki, relatives ki pillalu undadam valla em ochindi ani alochiste, I feel like it's just an emotional uphill, like paatikellu penchaka pillalu parents daggara ayite undaru, vallu ila undali ala undali anna tapana, valla life gurunchi parents struggle, idanta avasarama ani oka rakamga vairagyam ochinattu feel avtunna, I don't know how to explain it. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Chay said:

I think bahubali lo avanthika ki tagilinattu.. evadaina manchi pulihora abbai tagilithe anni feelings ave malli activate aipothai.. 

I have a husband, so no thanks.