It's time now...retire mig bison please...

kakatiya

Father of MiG-21 pilot killed in crash appeals for IAF to retire ‘obsolete jets’

'I lost my son. I don't want others to lose theirs'

Web Desk May 22, 2021 21:40 IST
mig-21-abhinav-choudharyCollage: The Mig-21, Squadron Leader Abhinav Choudhary

VDO.AI

As the last rites were performed of IAF Squadron Leader Abhinav Choudhary, who died in a MiG-21 crash in the Moga district of Punjab on Thursday, his father, Satendra, made an emotional appeal to the government to discontinue the ageing Soviet-era fighter jet.

“I lost everything I had...the government should discontinue the obsolete aircraft,” Times of India reported him as saying.

“I have lost my son...I don’t want others to lose theirs. I request the government with folded hands to discontinue them,” he said.

Choudhary, 28, crashed during a night combat training sortie late on Thursday night.

Earlier on Saturday morning, his body, wrapped in the tricolour, was taken by IAF officials from the Hindon airbase in Ghaziabad to his family residence at Gangasagar in Meerut where his inconsolably crying family members, including father Satendra Chaudhary, mother Satya Chaudhary, wife Sonika Ujjaval and sister Mudrika, received it.

After keeping the body briefly at the Meerut residence for people to bid the last farewell to the martyred pilot, the IAF officials began the drive for the pilot's ancestral village.

Though the IAF had made arrangements for family members to be taken to Baghpat in a separate vehicle, the pilot's distraught father insisted upon accompanying the body in the same vehicle.

On the way to the village, the locals stood along the road holding tricolour in their hands to see the braveheart pilot one last time after his life was cut short in the crash. The body reached the village at 11.30 am.

Abhinav had joined the service in 2014 and was currently stationed at Pathankot Airbase.

Retiring a Soviet-era fighter

The MiG-21 crash in which Sqn Ldr Choudhary was killed was the third accident this year. Over 400 MiG-21s have crashed since 1971-72, killing over 200 pilots and 50 civilians on the ground.

Calls to retire the MiG-21 have rung out for years, with some dubbing the aircraft the “flying coffin” due to the number of pilots that have died flying it. In March, an IAF Group Captain was killed in a MiG-21 accident while that took place while it was taking off for a combat training mission.

Having first flown in 1955, the MiG-21 continues to serve in the IAF, as well as in countries like China and Pakistan in the form of its Chinese duplicate, the Chengdu J-7.

Just now, kakatiya said:

Rang de basanthi movie is about the same issue and even after 15 years of that movie we are still flying them 

pilots are not boycotting them ? they are not expressing anything ?

1 minute ago, kakatiya said:

Father of MiG-21 pilot killed in crash appeals for IAF to retire ‘obsolete jets’

'I lost my son. I don't want others to lose theirs'

Web Desk May 22, 2021 21:40 IST
mig-21-abhinav-choudharyCollage: The Mig-21, Squadron Leader Abhinav Choudhary

VDO.AI

As the last rites were performed of IAF Squadron Leader Abhinav Choudhary, who died in a MiG-21 crash in the Moga district of Punjab on Thursday, his father, Satendra, made an emotional appeal to the government to discontinue the ageing Soviet-era fighter jet.

“I lost everything I had...the government should discontinue the obsolete aircraft,” Times of India reported him as saying.

“I have lost my son...I don’t want others to lose theirs. I request the government with folded hands to discontinue them,” he said.

Choudhary, 28, crashed during a night combat training sortie late on Thursday night.

Earlier on Saturday morning, his body, wrapped in the tricolour, was taken by IAF officials from the Hindon airbase in Ghaziabad to his family residence at Gangasagar in Meerut where his inconsolably crying family members, including father Satendra Chaudhary, mother Satya Chaudhary, wife Sonika Ujjaval and sister Mudrika, received it.

After keeping the body briefly at the Meerut residence for people to bid the last farewell to the martyred pilot, the IAF officials began the drive for the pilot's ancestral village.

Though the IAF had made arrangements for family members to be taken to Baghpat in a separate vehicle, the pilot's distraught father insisted upon accompanying the body in the same vehicle.

On the way to the village, the locals stood along the road holding tricolour in their hands to see the braveheart pilot one last time after his life was cut short in the crash. The body reached the village at 11.30 am.

Abhinav had joined the service in 2014 and was currently stationed at Pathankot Airbase.

Retiring a Soviet-era fighter

The MiG-21 crash in which Sqn Ldr Choudhary was killed was the third accident this year. Over 400 MiG-21s have crashed since 1971-72, killing over 200 pilots and 50 civilians on the ground.

Calls to retire the MiG-21 have rung out for years, with some dubbing the aircraft the “flying coffin” due to the number of pilots that have died flying it. In March, an IAF Group Captain was killed in a MiG-21 accident while that took place while it was taking off for a combat training mission.

Having first flown in 1955, the MiG-21 continues to serve in the IAF, as well as in countries like China and Pakistan in the form of its Chinese duplicate, the Chengdu J-7.

xxx batch wonot change, aa room lo chesey bills yevadiko useful avutayi not public

region, caste ani kottukuni potharu 

people like @JustChill_Mama  talk about non existent glory to cover the basic issues

Just now, yemdoing said:

they are ready to die ,they do not question 

when public are ready to vote for people living in palaces with 1rs salary n they will never question as they are fed with cash deposit or caste or religion or region hatred

educated youth are like that forget about others

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, yemdoing said:

200 pilots  died from accidents...... 

Indian airforce pilots don't run unions like air india pilots ... Ultimate decision lands with air defence ministry ...

We need more and more Rafaels...period 

29 minutes ago, kakatiya said:

Rang de basanthi movie is about the same issue and even after 15 years of that movie we are still flying them 

Mera bharat mahaan

31 minutes ago, kakatiya said:

200 pilots  died from accidents...... 

Indian airforce pilots don't run unions like air india pilots ... Ultimate decision lands with air defence ministry ...

We need more and more Rafaels...period 

In India for anything to happen we have wait for decades. Because slavery is in our 🩸.

Only talks , no actions !!!

2 hours ago, kakatiya said:

movie vachindani budget radu kada.. India doesn't spend a lot of defense modernization, most of the allocation lost in salaries and pensions

they are trying to do a phased retirement, LCA replacing Migs

10 hours ago, soodhilodaaram said:

movie vachindani budget radu kada.. India doesn't spend a lot of defense modernization, most of the allocation lost in salaries and pensions

they are trying to do a phased retirement, LCA replacing Migs

It is been 15 years..things haven't changed..Rafael was a good deal..adhi kooda nonsense kampu chesaru

AIRFORCE LO MECHANICS ENGINEERS e mig flights ni allow/approve chesthuna chesi varey vallaki etshunandhuku vallani okarini eppudu theskoni povali ... gallo deppam la valla lives unaty telusthadhi 

14 minutes ago, argadorn said:

AIRFORCE LO MECHANICS ENGINEERS e mig flights ni allow/approve chesthuna chesi varey vallaki etshunandhuku vallani okarini eppudu theskoni povali ... gallo deppam la valla lives unaty telusthadhi 

These mig bisons are way beyond their operational life..it is fault with the planes Operation and they are extremely difficult to land..most accidents happen during final descent 

We dont even have a plane production in progress that can replace with mach > 2.0