Identity Theft: New investment acc was created and ACAT transferred

jalsajalsa

I have account in Ally and scammers created new account in eTrade using my identity. They transferred all my portfolio(40K) to eTrade account and then to their accounts. Did anyone faced this issue.

For them to transfer to etrade they need your current account number with your brokerage, secondly there is usually a holding period after the request is submitted and processed.

in the past years I have done couple of transfers from webull and sofi to other brokerage, always was notified unless the hackers changed your notifications preferences.

it had happened with a capital one card which I used in India, it was flagged as it was being using out of state in US, they immediately called me to block the card and immediately requested a new card, almost was about to end the call and asked them to verify the address and surprisingly it was some PO box address. Moral of the story, you will need to check if the communications preferences are in tact and if not you can your brokerage responsible for this

I was not active on Ally since more than 3 months. When I spoke to eTrade they said account was created on April 27 and transfer was initiated on 4/29 and completed by 5/4. I logged into Ally on 5/11 and found out my account was closed. As you mentioned they need to have account number, The only people know the Ally account is tax filer.

2 minutes ago, jalsajalsa said:

I was not active on Ally since more than 3 months. When I spoke to eTrade they said account was created on April 27 and transfer was initiated on 4/29 and completed by 5/4. I logged into Ally on 5/11 and found out my account was closed. As you mentioned they need to have account number, The only people know the Ally account is tax filer.

File a police complaint, why do you go to tax filers man? They are either frauds or don’t protect your information. Use turbo tax and it is an idiot proof software which will guide you through everything. I learned this quickly how some tax filers were handing our confidential information. i also refrain from giving my ssn at doctors office unless mandated 

Limit the information leakage as much as you can

very sad man

check if you have identity theft insurance in your home insurance or renters insurance

5 minutes ago, hyperbole said:

File a police complaint, why do you go to tax filers man? They are either frauds or don’t protect your information. Use turbo tax and it is an idiot proof software which will guide you through everything. I learned this quickly how some tax filers were handing our confidential information. i also refrain from giving my ssn at doctors office unless mandated 

Limit the information leakage as much as you can

I have asked eTrade should I file complaint in FTC? for now they asked me to hold on.

Yes man, I should have file taxes on my own. Sure thank you.

1 minute ago, jalsajalsa said:

I have asked eTrade should I file complaint in FTC? for now they asked me to hold on.

Yes man, I should have file taxes on my own. Sure thank you.

Sign up for credit monitoring service to begin with as you never what those guys are up to 

Just now, hyperbole said:

Sign up for credit monitoring service to begin with as you never what those guys are up to 

I have locked all 3 credit bureau reports. Added fraud alerts. But how would I get my money back?

19 minutes ago, jalsajalsa said:

did you give to desi tax filer any time...?

10 minutes ago, jalsajalsa said:

Yes, I have been using besttaxfilers since more than 5 years.

I think something got compromised at their end only...

12 minutes ago, jalsajalsa said:

Yes, I have been using besttaxfilers since more than 5 years.

Title chudagane fix ipoya . It is best tax filer who used your tax forms to do this fraud . I have seen couple of this in fb