NJ and TX - pros and cons, and Out of state taxes ?

San_K

3 hours ago, Ravi860 said:

residing at one state and work location in a different state itself violating h1 status without amendment and also not paying taxes to living state.

Tarvatha pay chesta anna... asala money meedha fine kuda vestharu if one doing this for many years

How come .. Am working in PA, stayed in NJ.. and am on FT (not remote) and so I did not do amendment .. Fragoman also advised no need to change .. as far as I remember my employer has deducted PA  reciprocal agreement with NJ ..

1 hour ago, jaathiratnalu said:

How come .. Am working in PA, stayed in NJ.. and am on FT (not remote) and so I did not do amendment .. Fragoman also advised no need to change .. as far as I remember my employer has deducted PA  reciprocal agreement with NJ ..

you answered your question! you are not working remotely. This is about working remotely or your residing address is under 50mile radius from working location!

Place of Employment in LCA = H1B Holder’s Employment Geographical Area

The “place of employment” listed in LCA is key to determining the geographic location where the H1B employee can work. As per regulation 20 CFR 655.715, the “place of employment” listed in LCA  is nothing but the “area of the intended employment” and they have a formal definition for it.  The way they determine that “area of intended employment” is by looking at the normal commuting distance.

There is no specific rule for calculating commuting distance, it can be anywhere from 20 to 50 miles.  This is where the Metropolitan Statistical Area(MSA) and Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area (PMSA) are used to determine, if the location you are working falls within the commuting distance. So, technically, the H1B employee can work anywhere in the commutable distance region from the “place of employment” listed in LCA..

https://redbus2us.com/h1b-holder-work-from-home-lca-msa-amendment/

5 minutes ago, Ravi860 said:

you answered your question! you are not working remotely. This is about working remotely

Okay, Got it. Thanks bro

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JackSeal said:

First you are violating immigration rules, second you are doing tax fraud by not paying taxes in NJ. Which state drivers license do you have now ?

11 hours ago, sarvayogi said:

nee yavva..ee DB lo shaana mandi chesedi ade

Relax JS bro. Recently moved to a new company, work location is near Dallas, TX. I have dual LCA to work. NJ resident tax anyways will be paid at the end of the year. NJ State DL. What is the problem here?

11 hours ago, texas said:

If you are on H1 then you are on trouble for tax fraud 

11 hours ago, Tomb__ayya said:

down the line visa petition processing lo impact untadhi. Friend gaadiki 5 yrs back RFE ochindi, that too eppudo few years back his home address was in different city than work location that too in GC process. Don't know/remember at which specific stage in GC process.

https://www.truvisa.com/t/can-i-work-from-home-on-h1b-visa-what-if-my-home-is-in-different-state-or-city-than-my-office/55

https://www.truvisa.com/t/my-lca-and-i-129-has-company-address-nj-and-i-have-been-working-from-home-ca/1012/2

11 hours ago, no01 said:

485 apply chesaka ilantivi bayatiki vasthai antaru...chaala mandhiki RFE's paddai and may be called for Interview as well. If you are lucky and escape GC process, then citizenship ki malli pattukovachu antaru. So ippatidaaka no issues ani eppatiki alage untadi ani kaadu. Nijanga TX waste, NJ best anukunte, payroll ade state ki run chey and amendment file chesuko...all happies

11 hours ago, manadonga said:

See below you aee in double troble

where is your lca and h1 ? 
you dont know the issue until face 

ekkada charles shwab na work chesedi 

8 hours ago, texas said:

That won’t work on H1 if u know the rules and go by book 

3 hours ago, Ravi860 said:

you answered your question! you are not working remotely. This is about working remotely or your residing address is under 50mile radius from working location!

Place of Employment in LCA = H1B Holder’s Employment Geographical Area

The “place of employment” listed in LCA is key to determining the geographic location where the H1B employee can work. As per regulation 20 CFR 655.715, the “place of employment” listed in LCA  is nothing but the “area of the intended employment” and they have a formal definition for it.  The way they determine that “area of intended employment” is by looking at the normal commuting distance.

There is no specific rule for calculating commuting distance, it can be anywhere from 20 to 50 miles.  This is where the Metropolitan Statistical Area(MSA) and Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area (PMSA) are used to determine, if the location you are working falls within the commuting distance. So, technically, the H1B employee can work anywhere in the commutable distance region from the “place of employment” listed in LCA..

https://redbus2us.com/h1b-holder-work-from-home-lca-msa-amendment/

I think I should have added a note about Dual LCA in my first post. Here is the background -  Recently joined Mphasis as a FTE. Work location is near Dallas TX. At the time of H1B transfer, Mphasis immigration filed dual LCA - One for TX work location and Other is with my home address of NJ.

Since my work location is TX, there is no state tax being deducted from the salary paychecks. My NJ home address is still there on the paychecks under my name.

Just trying to understand where is the immigration or tax fraud here ? Couple of my friends had dual LCA and worked like this last year, and I'm pretty sure many guyz here working remote from a different state.

Coming to NJ state taxes at the end of the year, I will have to pay resident tax anyways for the period of my stay.  

5 hours ago, jaathiratnalu said:

tax should not be a problem but h1 should be definitely amended to include you residence address unless it's within some miles of work place mentioned in LCA.   

8 minutes ago, San_K said:

I think I should have added a note about Dual LCA in my first post. Here is the background -  Recently joined Mphasis as a FTE. Work location is near Dallas TX. At the time of H1B transfer, Mphasis immigration filed dual LCA - One for TX work location and Other is with my home address of NJ.

Since my work location is TX, there is no state tax being deducted from the salary paychecks. My NJ home address is still there on the paychecks under my name.

Just trying to understand where is the immigration or tax fraud here ? Couple of my friends had dual LCA and worked like this last year, and I'm pretty sure many guyz here working remote from a different state.

Coming to NJ state taxes at the end of the year, I will have to pay resident tax anyways for the period of my stay.  

you are good, no issue here.

Back to the main issue, texas lo taxes migulutayi, so based on your salary decide if it's significant amount. rental antunav kabatti property taxes doesn't matter. Other taxes will balance out each other. Schools and population not much difference. Things to do ante depends on what you do in general. Rent kuda what you are saying is very low for NJ (or any other major state) for 2 Bed apartment, not sure where you live. If you want to just escape snow then may be Florida, Tennessee or Georgia might be better.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, San_K said:

1650 ahe area bro? 

I see many people comments about getting drivers license in other state is also a prob lol.

Don’t fear too much man, these are the people who say don’t travel during opt, don’t travel during opt ext, don’t travel during H1b and don’t travel ever.

You are working for your employer and it’s fine if you are working away from your client taking remote as long as your lca and work location stays same as client location. If you didn’t do amendment make sure you file it if you are visiting india simple. 

go where you want and don’t listen to all slavery comments here, they know nothing

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, San_K said:

Varu client charles schawab na? 

• Upvote 1