67-year-old Bengaluru woman with a serious heart disease was flown from Portland, the United States, to Chennai on a 26-hour air ambulance flight

Midnightsun

A 67-year-old Bengaluru woman with a serious heart disease was flown from Portland, the United States, to Chennai on a 26-hour air ambulance flight through Iceland and Turkey . The airlift cost $133,000 (roughly Rs 1 crore) and involved two super-midsized private jets in as many legs . 

BENGALURU (BENGALURU): A 67-year-old Bengaluru woman with a serious heart disease was flown from Portland, the United States, to Chennai on a 26-hour air ambulance flight through Iceland and Turkey that arrived in India early Tuesday, making it one of the longest aeromedical evacuations to India in recent times.Considering the patient's condition, which is now being treated for heart surgery, the airlift cost $133,000 (roughly Rs 1 crore) and involved two super-midsized private jets in as many legs.The woman, who could only be named as a resident of Indiranagar, was known to be in Oregon with her children for a few years before she developed the heart disease and sought medical attention there in the United States.According to Dr Shalini Nalwad, co-founder and director of ICATT, the air ambulance services company, the woman's family thought that the US treatment was not suitable for her. 

The patient had been rushed to an ICU with a medical team, which included three doctors and two paramedics, to assist him.Dr. Rahul Singh, co-founder of ICATT, said she was flown in 7.5 hours to Reykjavik airport and that the halt in Iceland's capital was for refueling the plane.The Challenger flew the patient to Istanbul, Turkey, in six hours from Reykjavik, with only one medical and aviation crew member being able to fly from the United States and travel all the way monitoring the patient.According to Singh, the patient was transferred to another Challenger 605 at Istanbul airport and then flown to Diyarbakir airport in four hours. 

The woman was rushed to Apollo Hospital in an ambulance after successfully completing immigration paperwork onboard the airport tarmac, where she was pronounced safe.According to Dr Shalini Nalwad, co-founder and director of ICATT, the Bengaluru-based air ambulance services company, the treatment period in the United States was longer and costing much more than airlifting her to India.According to sources, the woman was facing difficulties on the health care front as she was an Indian passport holder.According to Dr Nalwad, this was the country's longest-ever aeromedical retrieval, with the patient flying all the way from the United States to India in two days.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MRI said:

asalu issue emayuntundo!! intha chesaaru..

I doubt she need immediate surgery, insurance won’t support.

i also doubt she be overstayed on b1/b2 visa

3 minutes ago, Midnightsun said:

both are not limitations to avail healthcare in the US.. they cannot deny healthcare!!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Midnightsun said:

Yes something fishy insurance ledhanikunta or cover gadhu easily 1 million estharu bill danikantey india pothey 140k plus inko 20k anthey. 

8 minutes ago, MRI said:

both are not limitations to avail healthcare in the US.. they cannot deny healthcare!!

Yes, but tarvtha valla intlo vallu pay cheyala? Or she can go to india and lite teskovacha?

Just now, Swatkat said:

But tarvtha valla intlo vallu pay cheyala? Or she can go to india and lite teskovacha?

there are lots of organizations that help you out.. hospital waives some bill.. and then you work out a payment plan.. 133K ippudey pettaru!! there are other ways to deal with the bill..

5 minutes ago, MRI said:

there are lots of organizations that help you out.. hospital waives some bill.. and then you work out a payment plan.. 133K ippudey pettaru!! there are other ways to deal with the bill..

Maybe she need organ transplant and here you have to wait 

12 minutes ago, MRI said:

Andharu ivvaru bro i know st jude and organizations chesthaye but canot gurantee. There is more to this story. Adhedho pedha ganakaryam laaga esaru. 

50 minutes ago, Pears said:

Maybe she need organ transplant and here you have to wait 

42 minutes ago, Swatkat said:

Andharu ivvaru bro i know st jude and organizations chesthaye but canot gurantee. There is more to this story. Adhedho pedha ganakaryam laaga esaru. 

hmm.. adey emayyindo paapam..