Anybody built a deck ?

Telugodura456

8 minutes ago, Telugodura456 said:

trex vs fiberon. anyone has any take.

I like DIY jobs around house. I used to do some basic stuff. Never built a deck but participated in doing on( although most work is done by other person). No experience with fiberon, but saw trex is good. Heard fiberon higher end boards are better than trex but comes at a price

• Upvote 1

Composite was too expensive for us. Got a cedar one built for our house a few years ago. 37 x 12 deck cost around 10k I think. 

Wooden decks need periodic maintenance. Pressure wash and stain every 2 to 3 years. Composite decks are maintenance free and last much longer. Wooden decks usually last around 20 years with good maintenance. 

45 minutes ago, Telugodura456 said:

bumping up - no one else built a deck in their house ? Come'on Man (Biden style)

DIY is huge effort and better to outsource unless you are an expert DIY. 

35 minutes ago, Suhaas said:

Composite was too expensive for us. Got a cedar one built for our house a few years ago. 37 x 12 deck cost around 10k I think. 

Wooden decks need periodic maintenance. Pressure wash and stain every 2 to 3 years. Composite decks are maintenance free and last much longer. Wooden decks usually last around 20 years with good maintenance. 

37 * 12 is pretty good size. I am thinking 24*16.  Did you put stairs ? i am not sure what the point of stairs is but lot of people who got deck got stairs as well.

Did you build any patio underneath ?

8 minutes ago, Telugodura456 said:

37 * 12 is pretty good size. I am thinking 24*16.  Did you put stairs ? i am not sure what the point of stairs is but lot of people who got deck got stairs as well.

Did you build any patio underneath ?

Yes, we did stairs so we have easy access to our backyard. Our deck is not high enough to have a patio underneath. Just deck and stairs. We did cedar with aluminum balusters for rails. 

• Upvote 1

Normal PT wooden deck is cheaper and easier. It needs basic maintenance like pressure washing and may be a coat of stain/paint every 3 years. That is not a lot of work. If you dont like it, you can outsource to a handy man for $500-$600.

Any composite material is at least 3x the cost. Composite lo Trex is good, Timbertech is really good. Fiberon no idea. 

If you have plans to live in that house for 15+ years - consider composite. 

Next 7 years lo vellipoye laaga aithe - stick to wood and save some $$. House appraisal lo deck undo ledo choostaru kaani, composite or wood valla apprausal retu peragadu. 

Online videos, stores annitlo composite is promoted heavily. Aesthetically it looks awesome, but cost is like 3x - i feel it is not worth it for sub $700K homes. 

Last but not least deck size also matters. Edo budankaya 10x12 deck aithe your affordability could change. 

• Upvote 1

It is easy , get the permit , take help of people to install the posts and rest of all is easy work , you will need a circular saw though and some basic carpenters work