The world of South Indians according to Shah Rukh Khan

Telugodura456

The world of South Indians according to Shah Rukh Khan

heartranjan  Arbit Gyan  November 10, 2011 4 Minutes

Diwalis have always been good days. From the days when we threw sparklers in the air and screamed ‘Rocket, rocket’, to the days when bombs burst in my hands. It was also the night I got caught drinking at home. In my pocket, there were the 20 ChlorMints we had bought to get rid of the smell, but we forgot to eat them.

But this Diwali was probably the happiest Diwali in recent years. Why, you ask?

Because Ra.One finally released.

I remember the first time I watched the trailer. It was the World Cup semi final and India was kicking Australia’s ass and anything is pardonable under such circumstances.

Since then, every billboard, TV channel, mall, cinema complex, website, interval, beginning, cricket tournament, and TV serial played the ads/trailers/songs of the film ad nauseum.

And this Diwali, the damn film finally released. And I watched it.

I do not wish to review the film, as that would be an insult to the intelligence levels of my readers, It will suffice to say that the film is KL3D – KLPD in all the three dimensions. Shah Rukh Khan overacts, but that is something I have gotten accustomed to. There are crass jokes that would be ridiculed if David Dhawan and Govinda made them, but it’s ok because SRK is doing it. (He’s got dimples, ya, he’s cute). So Shah Rukh Khan finds it convenient to cry about racial profiling before the release of ‘My Name is Khan’. He talks of treating people with respect, and then goes right ahead and portrays South Indians in the shittiest way. But what the hell? He has dimples, so it’s ok. Cute fellow!

What irked me the most about the film Ra.One was Shah Rukh Khan’s portrayal of the South Indian father. It’s an old trick that almost every Hindi film uses – caricaturing South Indians. They are all loudly dressed, and talk in screwed up English, mouthing lines likes ‘Ayyoji’, ‘Mind it’ and ‘I say’. But it’s all in good humour, of course!

Advertisements
REPORT THIS AD

If I crack a joke on Muslims, I’m unsecular. If I crack a joke on poor people, I am being elitist. But South Indians? Crack jokes, man. They are too lost in their own worlds. They don’t mind.

Well, fuck you, Mr. Shah Rukh Khan. They do.

Since I am half Telugu and half Oriya, I am subjected to both the stereotypes – either I am from a state full of tribals, or I live on idli, dosa, sambhar. So irked was I by this stereotyping, that I have compiled a list of stereotypes that most South Indians are subjected to.

1. South Indians have names like Veerabhadra Swami Bhadrachalaramam Iyengar.

Well, they don’t. South Indians have names that are normal. They may be long, and tongue-twisting, but they are all there for a purpose. They are either the names of the person’s native place, or a name of an ancestor, but they are all there for a purpose. If you can’t pronounce them, use a shorter form. Or call them by their initials. At least it’s better than having an innuendo filled name like ‘Ramandeep’ or ‘Hardik’, so save that smart joke for that beautiful ape you meet in the zoo. For us humans, it’s not funny.

2. South Indians say ‘Enna Rascala’ and ‘Mind it’.

Nobody talks like that. Only Shah Rukh Khan does that when is portraying South Indians. Though this is a generalisation, South Indians generally have better English than people from other places. They don’t introduce themselves as ‘Myself, Suresh’. Even autodrivers in most South Indian cities can pull off a conversation in English. And when was the last time you heard a South Indian say ‘Enna Rascala’?

i-am-funny-i-saw-ayyo-and-check-for-keys I'm South Indian, so I look for keys inside girls' shirts. I'm so funny, Hahaha. Spank me.

3. South Indians eat idli, dosa everyday.

Advertisements
REPORT THIS AD

In Ra.One, to pull off the role of a South Indian convincingly, Shah Rukh Khan eats noodles with curd. Cute no? So cute that I feel like slamming his head into an idli maker. The fact is South Indians don’t eat idli, dosa, sambhar everyday. That’s like assuming Italians eat pizza everyday and Shahid Afridi bites balls everyday. They don’t, primarily because they’ve been doing it all their lives. Also, idlis, dosas and sambhar are found everywhere these days. So think twice before you make the idli jokes. And SRK, think at least once!

noodles-and-curd.png?w=1100 I'm South Indian, so I mix curd with noodles.... eating-curd-and-noodle.png?w=1100 ...and then I proceed to eat it but-i-have-dimples.png?w=1100 I know it's gross, but I have dimples, no?

4. All South Indian guys know each other’s’ languages

Advertisements
REPORT THIS AD

They don’t. South Indian languages are complex. It’s not like other states where languages have similarity with each other. Down south, neighbouring states have nothing common in their language. So Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh have their own languages. So calling someone a ‘madrasi’ just makes you a dickhead, nothing else.

• Upvote 2

A quote from the article above :

"He talks of treating people with respect, and then goes right ahead and portrays South Indians in the shittiest way. But what the hell? He has dimples, so it’s ok. Cute fellow!"

Nothing screams narsi @Raven_Rayes than the highlighted part.

what about how north Indians are portrayed in Tamil films? hmmm..

as money grubbing seths..

these are stereotypes dude.

there was one insidious very popular tamil film from karthi 'theeran adigaaram ondru' that portrayed north indian labourers in TN as part of a huge criminal gang. the entire film was disgusting to watch actually with several dialogues that spoke derogatorily against North Indians.

what would you call that?

srk himself playing a south Indian based on harmless cultural stereotypes is racism for you, but painting north Indians as criminals is okay behaviour?

the good thing is, both srk and that tamil film maker/actor have realised that what they did was not right. srk probably won't repeat those stereotypes, and karthi won't act in a movie that portrays north Indians as criminals.

its called learning as you go.

not being stuck in one place shouting 'racism', while you yourself derogatorily refer to the region you were raised in with a racist word, coz your folks lost power in taht region.

1 minute ago, Raven_Rayes said:

there was one insidious very popular tamil film from karthi 'theeran adigaaram ondru' that portrayed north indian labourers in TN as part of a huge criminal gang. the entire film was disgusting to watch actually with several dialogues that spoke derogatorily against North Indians.

srk himself playing a south Indian based on harmless cultural stereotypes is racism for you, but painting north Indians as criminals is okay behaviour?

the good thing is, both srk and that tamil film maker/actor have realised that what they did was not right. srk probably won't repeat those stereotypes, and karthi won't act in a movie that portrays north Indians as criminals.

not being stuck in one place shouting 'racism', while you yourself derogatorily refer to the region you were raised in with a racist word, coz your folks lost power in taht region.

Ok till now you bluffed there is no racism from khans. Now you are saying it is there but matches or equivalent to so called south indian racism.

once again the fellow drawing parralels where none exists.

Bollywood is seen as indian cinema. Indian govt recognizes it as such and is branded as such. Hindi has official status.

Moreover the elite in north are not only fairer they also control the military and both hard and soft power.

But our narsi makes some weak portrayal of some north indian in a tamil cinema and asks "what about".

It shows how much you LACK - from an emotional sensitivity to basic grasp of social issues.

1 minute ago, Telugodura456 said:

Ok till now you bluffed there is no racism from khans. Now you are saying it is there but matches or equivalent to so called south indian racism.

Bollywood is seen as indian cinema. Indian govt recognizes it as such and is branded as such. Hindi has official status.

Moreover the elite in north are not only fairer they also control the military and both hard and soft power.

But our narsi makes some weak portrayal of some north indian in a tamil cinema and asks "what about".

It shows how much you LACK - from an emotional sensitivity to basic grasp of social issues.

so whenever convenient to you, you want to make your argument based on how 'hindi' is considered as official, and how bollywood is considered as Indian. what a hypocrite.

I'm still saying that I haven't seen evidence of any racism from the khans.

i merely pointed to how stereotypes play out in movies across languages. and how people learn from their mistakes.

but even if srk repeats it in his movies, I still wouldn't consider it as racism.

your branding of VD as 'langa' star is racism though. its like you hate assertive TG people who don't give a fcuk about you anymore.

Just now, Raven_Rayes said:

so whenever convenient to you, you want to make your argument based on how 'hindi' is considered as official, and how bollywood is considered as Indian. what a hypocrite.

I'm still saying that I haven't seen evidence of any racism from the khans.

i merely pointed to how stereotypes play out in movies across languages. and how people learn from their mistakes.

but even if srk repeats it in his movies, I still wouldn't consider it as racism.

your branding of VD as 'langa' star is racism though. its like you hate assertive TG people who don't give a fcuk about you anymore.

"hey it is just a stereoptype..there is no racism" yea right. its a mistake he will learn.

RACIST PIECE of $HIT ra narsy. I have never seen anyone with this much hate in the people he grew up with.

You are MISFIT you know it. Now you want revenge against innocents because you cannot be at peace with yourself.

1 minute ago, Telugodura456 said:

"hey it is just a stereoptype..there is no racism" yea right. its a mistake he will learn.

RACIST PIECE of $HIT ra narsy. I have never seen anyone with this much hate in the people he grew up with.

You are MISFIT you know it. Now you want revenge against innocents because you cannot be at peace with yourself.

you are funny. i give you that.

Just now, Raven_Rayes said:

you are funny. i give you that.

I think you have some emotional issues. It is pretty clear the way you react. And the complte lack of emotional depth.

3 minutes ago, Telugodura456 said:

I think you have some emotional issues. It is pretty clear the way you react. And the complte lack of emotional depth.

you have no capacity to 'think'.. stop deluding yourself. lmao.

36 minutes ago, Telugodura456 said:

The world of South Indians according to Shah Rukh Khan

heartranjan  Arbit Gyan  November 10, 2011 4 Minutes

Diwalis have always been good days. From the days when we threw sparklers in the air and screamed ‘Rocket, rocket’, to the days when bombs burst in my hands. It was also the night I got caught drinking at home. In my pocket, there were the 20 ChlorMints we had bought to get rid of the smell, but we forgot to eat them.

But this Diwali was probably the happiest Diwali in recent years. Why, you ask?

Because Ra.One finally released.

I remember the first time I watched the trailer. It was the World Cup semi final and India was kicking Australia’s ass and anything is pardonable under such circumstances.

Since then, every billboard, TV channel, mall, cinema complex, website, interval, beginning, cricket tournament, and TV serial played the ads/trailers/songs of the film ad nauseum.

And this Diwali, the damn film finally released. And I watched it.

I do not wish to review the film, as that would be an insult to the intelligence levels of my readers, It will suffice to say that the film is KL3D – KLPD in all the three dimensions. Shah Rukh Khan overacts, but that is something I have gotten accustomed to. There are crass jokes that would be ridiculed if David Dhawan and Govinda made them, but it’s ok because SRK is doing it. (He’s got dimples, ya, he’s cute). So Shah Rukh Khan finds it convenient to cry about racial profiling before the release of ‘My Name is Khan’. He talks of treating people with respect, and then goes right ahead and portrays South Indians in the shittiest way. But what the hell? He has dimples, so it’s ok. Cute fellow!

What irked me the most about the film Ra.One was Shah Rukh Khan’s portrayal of the South Indian father. It’s an old trick that almost every Hindi film uses – caricaturing South Indians. They are all loudly dressed, and talk in screwed up English, mouthing lines likes ‘Ayyoji’, ‘Mind it’ and ‘I say’. But it’s all in good humour, of course!

Advertisements
REPORT THIS AD

If I crack a joke on Muslims, I’m unsecular. If I crack a joke on poor people, I am being elitist. But South Indians? Crack jokes, man. They are too lost in their own worlds. They don’t mind.

Well, fuck you, Mr. Shah Rukh Khan. They do.

Since I am half Telugu and half Oriya, I am subjected to both the stereotypes – either I am from a state full of tribals, or I live on idli, dosa, sambhar. So irked was I by this stereotyping, that I have compiled a list of stereotypes that most South Indians are subjected to.

1. South Indians have names like Veerabhadra Swami Bhadrachalaramam Iyengar.

Well, they don’t. South Indians have names that are normal. They may be long, and tongue-twisting, but they are all there for a purpose. They are either the names of the person’s native place, or a name of an ancestor, but they are all there for a purpose. If you can’t pronounce them, use a shorter form. Or call them by their initials. At least it’s better than having an innuendo filled name like ‘Ramandeep’ or ‘Hardik’, so save that smart joke for that beautiful ape you meet in the zoo. For us humans, it’s not funny.

2. South Indians say ‘Enna Rascala’ and ‘Mind it’.

Nobody talks like that. Only Shah Rukh Khan does that when is portraying South Indians. Though this is a generalisation, South Indians generally have better English than people from other places. They don’t introduce themselves as ‘Myself, Suresh’. Even autodrivers in most South Indian cities can pull off a conversation in English. And when was the last time you heard a South Indian say ‘Enna Rascala’?

i-am-funny-i-saw-ayyo-and-check-for-keys I'm South Indian, so I look for keys inside girls' shirts. I'm so funny, Hahaha. Spank me.

3. South Indians eat idli, dosa everyday.

Advertisements
REPORT THIS AD

In Ra.One, to pull off the role of a South Indian convincingly, Shah Rukh Khan eats noodles with curd. Cute no? So cute that I feel like slamming his head into an idli maker. The fact is South Indians don’t eat idli, dosa, sambhar everyday. That’s like assuming Italians eat pizza everyday and Shahid Afridi bites balls everyday. They don’t, primarily because they’ve been doing it all their lives. Also, idlis, dosas and sambhar are found everywhere these days. So think twice before you make the idli jokes. And SRK, think at least once!

noodles-and-curd.png?w=1100 I'm South Indian, so I mix curd with noodles.... eating-curd-and-noodle.png?w=1100 ...and then I proceed to eat it but-i-have-dimples.png?w=1100 I know it's gross, but I have dimples, no?

4. All South Indian guys know each other’s’ languages

Advertisements
REPORT THIS AD

They don’t. South Indian languages are complex. It’s not like other states where languages have similarity with each other. Down south, neighbouring states have nothing common in their language. So Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh have their own languages. So calling someone a ‘madrasi’ just makes you a dickhead, nothing else.

We successfully wiped of tamil from north. Even monna song lo kuda manadhey first. 

epudu e stereotype antha poidhi. Kukka lekka prathi caadu hyd vasthuandu.

3 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

Arey ninnu indhaka mingemanana. Daggaruntey shirt pattukoni kokkaniki eladisevadni. Paripothadanta potti uncle

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Swatkat said:

Arey ninnu indhaka mingemanana. Daggaruntey shirt pattukoni kokkaniki eladisevadni. Paripothadanta potti uncle

madhyalo nee badha entra.

4 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

Serious mental problems for sure. A lack of empathy, a "visceral hatred" for some distant CBN. A weird way of reacting to things. 

26 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

21 minutes ago, Telugodura456 said:

Aa essays entra babu, are you full timers in db and have no work? :giggle:

• Haha 1