US immigration: Why Indians are fleeing halfway around the world

kevinUsa

Panama in 2019

An uncertain fresh start

Once in the US, migrants such as Mr Singh begin a long legal process to apply for asylum. Most often, it begins with what US officials term a "credible fear interview," in which they must convince authorities they face persecution if returned home.

"This first step is the most important," Mr Ahluwalia explained. "If he [the officer] deems there is no credible fear, your case is never going to move forward. That is very catastrophic."

If an asylum officer believes these fears are credible, would-be asylum seekers are likely to be issued a notice to appear before an immigration judge who will consider their request.

The process is lengthy - with wait times of several years now the norm across the US - with no promise of a positive outcome.

Mr Singh, for his part, has been in the US since late June. At the moment, he is saving up money to hire a lawyer.

While his long-term future in the US is by no means guaranteed, and his journey was long, it was better than the alternative, he said.

"I would always fear for my life," he added. "Since I have been here, I have never felt such a thing

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Midnightsun said:

:giggle:

Fear

fear of future branded as "hatred against monitories" as western media typically writes

I think Indians should use western propaganda media articles to convince judge that they are being killed on streets, they just need to create a story that they ran away from punjab and landed in US, they unknowingly walked on the water as well just like jesus in search of parisuddha desam

this is perfect use of something against them itself