California vasulu - question for you

tennisluvrredux

How long does a not at fault hit and run accident stay on your record?

I was a victim of a hit and run accident a month ago where the other driver fled the scene of the accident, I noted down his license plate number and the police officer who responded to the scene of the accident confirmed I was the victim in this case and asked me to report this to my insurance provider as such, although the actual report is still pending since as per the police the other party is not cooperating.

So, I had to claim using my own insurance since the vehicle was slightly damaged and I paid the deductible. My premium is due for renewal next month, I heard that my insurance would also go up even though I am not at fault here since it's a hit and run accident.

Tried to look online how long this stays on the record, some are saying 3 some are saying between 3-5 years. Anyone been in this situation? How much did your insurance go up if this happened to you.

2 minutes ago, tennisluvrredux said:

I was a victim of a hit and run accident a month ago as per the police officer on scene, and he is still working on the report.

However, I had to claim using my own insurance since the vehicle was slightly damaged and I paid the deductible. My premium is due for renewal next month, I heard that my insurance would also go up even though I am not at fault here since it's a hit and run accident.

Tried to look online how long this stays on the record, some are saying 3 some are saying between 3-5 years. Anyone been in this situation? How much did your insurance go up if this happened to you.

I think until your police report comes, insurance won’t decide who is at fault yet

Just now, DesiPokiri said:

I think until your police report comes, insurance won’t decide who is at fault yet

Yes I keep calling the police records center every week and they keep saying it's still an active investigation. I asked on some legal forums and they said sometimes it could take upto 2 weeks to generate a report in hit and run cases.

What I don't understand is, there are 2 cameras on that intersection that they have access to and I gave a description of the driver and the car who caused this accident. So even if the other party is not cooperating by refusing to answer to police calls etc can't they generate a report saying that that's what he's trying to do and place at fault for the entire thing.

Just now, tennisluvrredux said:

Yes I keep calling the police records center every week and they keep saying it's still an active investigation. I asked on some legal forums and they said sometimes it could take upto 2 weeks to generate a report in hit and run cases.

What I don't understand is, there are 2 cameras on that intersection that they have access to and I gave a description of the driver and the car who caused this accident. So even if the other party is not cooperating by refusing to answer to police calls etc can't they generate a report saying that that's what he's trying to do and place at fault for the entire thing.

Thing is many of those cameras won’t work, In your case I don’t there is any fault from your end, but once you get the police report, look at probable cause section for both driver 1 and Driver 2 in the report, and based on what the police writes there , that driver will be at fault. 

• Thanks 1

The reason your insurance goes up is not because of your fault.. the address you live in and the areas you travel may be considered high risk areas if there are more claims.. 

40 minutes ago, tennisluvrredux said:

I was a victim of a hit and run accident a month ago where the other driver fled the scene of the accident, I noted down his license plate number and the police officer who responded to the scene of the accident confirmed I was the victim in this case and asked me to report this to my insurance provider as such, although the actual report is still pending since as per the police the other party is not cooperating.

So, I had to claim using my own insurance since the vehicle was slightly damaged and I paid the deductible. My premium is due for renewal next month, I heard that my insurance would also go up even though I am not at fault here since it's a hit and run accident.

5-7 years untadhi. Insurwnce premium lets say if you are oaying 540 for 6 months it could go upto 650. But vadu inka ekuvesthey. Call them and ask they will reduce or asalu eyakapovachu…

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tennisluvrredux said:

Pfdb Brahmi GIF - Pfdb Brahmi Tollywood GIFs..sudden ga chusi, idhem kottha offer anukunna bhayya..

1 year back oka nalla munda naa wife vehicle ni lane change chesthu side nundi guddhindhi...police called and they finalized that my wife was victim...insurance info exchanged...police said other party no cooperating, my insurance right away fixed my vehicle and said they will collect from other party insurance company...meanwhile, I paid deductible and was waiting for my insurance to pay my money back...within a month my premium increased $30 a month...when inquired with my insurance, they said other party insurance expired long back and that money can't be claimed no more...

after 3 months, I changed my insurance and now paying less..  

• Haha 1

I was victim of hit and run. No record of other guy. Police complaint idam ante sharieff highway lo no cameras we cannot do much annadu. Kavali ante he can take complaint annadu.

Minor damage i claimed my insurance.

They started increasing the premium by 58$ for 6 months.

later called and spoke with insurance. They reviewed the calls how i reported the complaint to them. Said don’t need to pay any premium since it’s not my fault and refunded. Statefarm is the insurance provideR

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shameless said:

Pfdb Brahmi GIF - Pfdb Brahmi Tollywood GIFs..sudden ga chusi, idhem kottha offer anukunna bhayya..

1 year back oka nalla munda naa wife vehicle ni lane change chesthu side nundi guddhindhi...police called and they finalized that my wife was victim...insurance info exchanged...police said other party no cooperating, my insurance right away fixed my vehicle and said they will collect from other party insurance company...meanwhile, I paid deductible and was waiting for my insurance to pay my money back...within a month my premium increased $30 a month...when inquired with my insurance, they said other party insurance expired long back and that money can't be claimed no more...

after 3 months, I changed my insurance and now paying less..  

Even then aa $500 neeke bokka kada bhayya

4 hours ago, tennisluvrredux said:

7 years in CA 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1