For the first time in my career I approached the HR

Tyrannosauraus_Rex

15 minutes ago, Tyrannosauraus_Rex said:

I am an accountant by profession and so far in my career I have not had major issues with my supervisors/managers no matter where I worked.

A few months ago I got a promotion at work. Initially I was not willing to accept this promotion but my director persuaded/influenced me to accept the position.

Once I decided to accept the promotion I was genuinely motivated to make a difference in my job and contribute.  

The director who actually influenced me to apply for the senior position and played a huge role in me getting the promotion became my immediate boss. Initially I thought this would be a great thing since I am working for someone who actually sought me out. But pretty soon things started unraveling quickly.

1. My director has an extremely poor attitude towards handling pressure situations. She is a constant "worrier". For example she would find a mistake in December and now she speculates and worries about -"I wonder how many mistakes were made 3 months ago" or " I don't know how many more mistakes are going to happen in the future".  She made it impossible for me to carry out my managerial duties as I was constantly witness to her losing her mind about things that did not even happen.

2. Her communication style is so embarrassingly abrasive. She would say things to me directly in the presence of people who report to me - which undermines my skill, experience and confidence. She also chides people who work for me without taking me into confidence. She is blissfully unaware of one of the most rudimentary people management skills - you praise people in public and criticize them in private.

3. Her attitude, communication style and constant worrying percolated to me in such an intrusive way that I had basically started losing sleep at night and all I was thinking about was just work. I basically dreaded going to work and was walking on eggshells almost all the time. Once I came back from work - I never had any spirit or energy to pursue anything else. Prior to accepting this position I had a very healthy work life balance. I went to dance classes/events, movies, socializing, learning French etc., but after accepting this position - my boss's constant worrying started affecting me too.

4. Soon I realized that the work atmosphere had gotten so toxic that if I continued to work the way I was working - I would end up mentally or physically breaking down. The breaking point was the day when she told me and the people who report to me "I would be livid if I find this still unreconciled next month". The choice of the word livid basically told me I need to address the issue head on.

So a couple of weeks ago - I made an appointment with the vice president of HR. In our organization set up - the top dog is the President and then there are a whole bunch of Vice Presidents heading each division. So, in my case I basically went to the number 2 in our organization who also happens to be the top person in HR.

The HR VP received me with kindness, empathy and understanding.  I had explained to her in detail all my issues and basically said that as much as I love my job - unfortunately I cannot in good conscience continue in my current role. From my vantage point I really only have two options - either I have to quit the organization or you can reallocate me to a different position or any such other role where you think I can contribute the most. I also did make it very clear that if they are not able to accommodate my request - I'd prefer to know it soon since I need to start making alternate arrangements as far as my job search is concerned.

My HR simply said "take a deep breath" - and promised me that she would speak to the VP of Finance - who is basically the top boss in Finance - who is essentially the boss of my director who I've been having trouble with.

The HR VP asked me not to take any drastic step and asked me to wait for 24 hours.

The next day around late noon I was called into the office of the VP finance. This time along with explaining clearly my issues I also took the name of my director and clearly laid out the whole situation. Once again just like the HR VP - the VP finance too had allowed me to speak and genuinely expressed sympathy with my situation.

She basically asked me to take the next day off and asked me to work from home and told me that from next week I will not have to report to my director. The way the situation was resolved was that she actually created a new managerial position for me and moved me into a different wing within finance. And she put me under a supervisor with whom I had a great working relationship prior to me accepting the promotion.

THE STRATEGY WITH THE HR.

In my meeting with the HR -  I 'deliberately' made sure to communicate that I had no qualms in quitting the job if I was not removed from my current role. It was a bit of a gamble because the HR could have easily called my bluff and simply said "well, we cannot really help you here and if you don't want to stay with us - it is up to you". But I gambled on the fact that I know that I am a very valuable resource within the organization and they would be unwilling to lose me. Also ours is not a big organization with thousands of employees. Given the size of our organization I bet on the fact that they would be unwilling to lose talent or top performers.  

I did not want to let them know that I was desperate for this job or that I needed to hold it under any circumstance. I projected an image where I made it clear that I was financially secure and in theory I could quit if my concerns were not addressed.

To be absolutely honest - it is of course important for me to retain the job but it was a strategic decision not to convey my desperation during my meeting with the HR. 

I also trusted the HR in my organization. Which means that I trusted the HR systems, processes and procedures are independent and robust.

I just wanted to share my experience here since it is possible there maybe people here who are probably facing similar dilemmas in their jobs.

After a certain age - you really need to start taking your mental health seriously and at least make serious attempts to address it whether your attempts are successful or not. 

Why are you telling this scrap here ra ?

19 minutes ago, Tyrannosauraus_Rex said:

I am an accountant by profession and so far in my career I have not had major issues with my supervisors/managers no matter where I worked.

A few months ago I got a promotion at work. Initially I was not willing to accept this promotion but my director persuaded/influenced me to accept the position.

Once I decided to accept the promotion I was genuinely motivated to make a difference in my job and contribute.  

The director who actually influenced me to apply for the senior position and played a huge role in me getting the promotion became my immediate boss. Initially I thought this would be a great thing since I am working for someone who actually sought me out. But pretty soon things started unraveling quickly.

1. My director has an extremely poor attitude towards handling pressure situations. She is a constant "worrier". For example she would find a mistake in December and now she speculates and worries about -"I wonder how many mistakes were made 3 months ago" or " I don't know how many more mistakes are going to happen in the future".  She made it impossible for me to carry out my managerial duties as I was constantly witness to her losing her mind about things that did not even happen.

2. Her communication style is so embarrassingly abrasive. She would say things to me directly in the presence of people who report to me - which undermines my skill, experience and confidence. She also chides people who work for me without taking me into confidence. She is blissfully unaware of one of the most rudimentary people management skills - you praise people in public and criticize them in private.

3. Her attitude, communication style and constant worrying percolated to me in such an intrusive way that I had basically started losing sleep at night and all I was thinking about was just work. I basically dreaded going to work and was walking on eggshells almost all the time. Once I came back from work - I never had any spirit or energy to pursue anything else. Prior to accepting this position I had a very healthy work life balance. I went to dance classes/events, movies, socializing, learning French etc., but after accepting this position - my boss's constant worrying started affecting me too.

4. Soon I realized that the work atmosphere had gotten so toxic that if I continued to work the way I was working - I would end up mentally or physically breaking down. The breaking point was the day when she told me and the people who report to me "I would be livid if I find this still unreconciled next month". The choice of the word livid basically told me I need to address the issue head on.

So a couple of weeks ago - I made an appointment with the vice president of HR. In our organization set up - the top dog is the President and then there are a whole bunch of Vice Presidents heading each division. So, in my case I basically went to the number 2 in our organization who also happens to be the top person in HR.

The HR VP received me with kindness, empathy and understanding.  I had explained to her in detail all my issues and basically said that as much as I love my job - unfortunately I cannot in good conscience continue in my current role. From my vantage point I really only have two options - either I have to quit the organization or you can reallocate me to a different position or any such other role where you think I can contribute the most. I also did make it very clear that if they are not able to accommodate my request - I'd prefer to know it soon since I need to start making alternate arrangements as far as my job search is concerned.

My HR simply said "take a deep breath" - and promised me that she would speak to the VP of Finance - who is basically the top boss in Finance - who is essentially the boss of my director who I've been having trouble with.

The HR VP asked me not to take any drastic step and asked me to wait for 24 hours.

The next day around late noon I was called into the office of the VP finance. This time along with explaining clearly my issues I also took the name of my director and clearly laid out the whole situation. Once again just like the HR VP - the VP finance too had allowed me to speak and genuinely expressed sympathy with my situation.

She basically asked me to take the next day off and asked me to work from home and told me that from next week I will not have to report to my director. The way the situation was resolved was that she actually created a new managerial position for me and moved me into a different wing within finance. And she put me under a supervisor with whom I had a great working relationship prior to me accepting the promotion.

In my meeting with the HR -  I 'deliberately' made sure to communicate that I had no qualms in quitting the job if I was not removed from my current role. It was a bit of a gamble because the HR could have easily called my bluff and simply said "well, we cannot really help you here and if you don't want to stay with us - it is up to you". But I gambled on the fact that I know that I am a very valuable resource within the organization and they would be unwilling to lose me. Also ours is not a big organization with thousands of employees. Given the size of our organization I bet on the fact that they would be unwilling to lose talent or top performers.  

I did not want to let them know that I was desperate for this job or that I needed to hold it under any circumstance. I projected an image where I made it clear that I was financially secure and in theory I could quit if my concerns were not addressed.

To be absolutely honest - it is of course important for me to retain the job but it was a strategic decision not to convey my desperation during my meeting with the HR. 

I also trusted the HR in my organization. Which means that I trusted the HR systems, processes and procedures are independent and robust.

I just wanted to share my experience here since it is possible there maybe people here who are probably facing similar dilemmas in their jobs.

After a certain age - you really need to start taking your mental health seriously and at least make serious attempts to address it whether your attempts are successful or not. 

Thanks for taking time to share this bro. 

23 hours ago, sreenidhee said:

well done and thanks for motivating others 

chustunte adolla rajyam laa undi mee company %$#$

Yes, you could say 70-30 in favor of the women. Most of the top management is also female led. 

One of the reasons most first world countries have progressed is they have allowed their women freedom, gave them education and that typically results in your entire population contributing towards the country's economy.  

• Upvote 1

Its good that HR responded in positive way. U did the right thing by standing up instead of silence 👏👏👏

i am curious to know what caused this change in ur mgrs attitude. They were the one who encouraged you. Why did they turn into monster?

9 minutes ago, Vaampire said:

Its good that HR responded in positive way. U did the right thing by standing up instead of silence 👏👏👏

i am curious to know what caused this change in ur mgrs attitude. They were the one who encouraged you. Why did they turn into monster?

May be they just needed a whipping boy.. and he looked like a good candidate for that.. 

23 hours ago, Tyrannosauraus_Rex said:

e range stories etla rastunnav anna?? Ni opika ki dannam 🙏