Planning to buy a motor cycle . Anything I should be aware ?

Pandubabu

4 hours ago, jobless said:

900 is a good and predictably handling bike bro. One of my friend has it. Not sure about 1200. Again totally depends on how confident are you and your commitment level. Price wise add min of 1000 on top of any bike to get good gear. 

Also if you plan on keeping it for long pay attention to service intervals and val e adjustment. For 900 its 10k miles oil change and 20k miles  valve adjustment so should be alright maintenance wise also. 

Checkout ridershare and rent it before you decide.

acutally speed twin 1200 anukunna, but mari antha heavy bike avasarama ani 900 ki vachina.

naa frnd trident600 undi but its a naked bike. 

1 hour ago, Charger said:

acutally speed twin 1200 anukunna, but mari antha heavy bike avasarama ani 900 ki vachina.

naa frnd trident600 undi but its a naked bike. 

Weight wise peddaga different lenattu undi bro between 900 and 1200. They are usually very relaxed rides so not too much learning curve. I would say attend the training class get a license and try out renting or test driving.

Too many options to just finalize and buy one. I like triumph scrambler, but i would say get familiar with them before committing. Lot of content on youtube too. At the end of the day you should feel like riding it every day.  Usually it takes time to get through to that stage.

If you have even 10% doubt that you may not ride it often or if the family situation doesn't allow it buy something cheap under 3k lot of fun bikes which you can buy with cash and get the same money back.

• Thanks 1

Start with used bikes. Spring is around, many folks will start putting them up for sale

get msf basic and advanced courses

Always put this is mind when riding- YOU ARE INVISIBLE 

So, learn to position yourself accordingly

• Upvote 1

Keep 2-3k aside for good gear apart from the budget of buying the mc

I can vouce for motoport and aerostitch suits, i have both and costs around 2k with good options so can vouch for them

Arai or shoei helmets 500-700

Good ankle protection boots- many out there depending on your style another 300-500

• Upvote 2

On 2/18/2023 at 3:54 PM, jobless said:

Weight wise peddaga different lenattu undi bro between 900 and 1200. They are usually very relaxed rides so not too much learning curve. I would say attend the training class get a license and try out renting or test driving.

Too many options to just finalize and buy one. I like triumph scrambler, but i would say get familiar with them before committing. Lot of content on youtube too. At the end of the day you should feel like riding it every day.  Usually it takes time to get through to that stage.

If you have even 10% doubt that you may not ride it often or if the family situation doesn't allow it buy something cheap under 3k lot of fun bikes which you can buy with cash and get the same money back.

scrambler ante, ducati also nice option.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:13 PM, Captain_nd_Coke said:

Keep 2-3k aside for good gear apart from the budget of buying the mc

I can vouce for motoport and aerostitch suits, i have both and costs around 2k with good options so can vouch for them

Arai or shoei helmets 500-700

Good ankle protection boots- many out there depending on your style another 300-500

what kind of bike you are using?

39 minutes ago, Charger said:

scrambler ante, ducati also nice option.

scrambler is one type of MC- it's not fully dual sport and not a classic/regular

Duc-scrambler X and triumph scrambler are the only last lineage of the actual scrambler's style these days.. it has high rise exhaust and good ground clearance... good for light adv type riding.. light and nimble

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Charger said:

what kind of bike you are using?

current stable has '19 R1250GSA low suspension for long distance and day rides and a husky 450 for trail rides

Since you are starting-Consider what kind of rides you would like to do?

I started with <1 liter cruisers and ended up with adv style riding these days... all were used, had for a season or two to finally realize that my type of riding I liked adv so currently ended up buying new '19 that I plan to haul for another 4 years from now... aa tarvata depends appati mood and type of riding batti what I would chose. Family plays major role too- like no kids- can go for day rides or multi day rides when wife is away on vacation, with young kids- sneaking in 2-3 hrs rides itself would become very hard....

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 3:54 PM, jobless said:

weight should be a crucial factor here.. 1200 are 1lit full bore engines- naked 1200's would weight 530# wet weight and 865 engines (they call it 900 though) would come around 460-470# wet weight...

Add all the stupid farkles we add like crash guards and panniers etc and we make it around to 480#-- As long as the rubber side is down and shiny side is up- all looks great, but once they are down- would be little difficult. especially all these (duc,triumph,yamaha etc) are top heavy with the engines and their fuel tank placements..

only bikes in these class that's not top heavy are ktm's 790 and 890 because of the design of the fuel tank..

best full bore engine bike ante I would rate R1250GS cause of the boxer engine- its center of gravity is too low and easier to lift when it's down.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Captain_nd_Coke said:

weight should be a crucial factor here.. 1200 are 1lit full bore engines- naked 1200's would weight 530# wet weight and 865 engines (they call it 900 though) would come around 460-470# wet weight...

Add all the stupid farkles we add like crash guards and panniers etc and we make it around to 480#-- As long as the rubber side is down and shiny side is up- all looks great, but once they are down- would be little difficult. especially all these (duc,triumph,yamaha etc) are top heavy with the engines and their fuel tank placements..

only bikes in these class that's not top heavy are ktm's 790 and 890 because of the design of the fuel tank..

best full bore engine bike ante I would rate R1250GS cause of the boxer engine- its center of gravity is too low and easier to lift when it's down.

Yes bro but if you check on triumph site both 900 and 1200 are listed as 476 lbs which is surprising.

If the op is confident about his riding i would say he just needs to get a bike that he likes. For street riding i Don't think weight would be too much of a factor. Adv riding i definitely agree lot of factors starting with weight. 

If op needs to build confidence may be it's better to start with smaller bikes and progress to bigger bikes organically. 

3 hours ago, Captain_nd_Coke said:

current stable has '19 R1250GSA low suspension for long distance and day rides and a husky 450 for trail rides

Since you are starting-Consider what kind of rides you would like to do?

I started with <1 liter cruisers and ended up with adv style riding these days... all were used, had for a season or two to finally realize that my type of riding I liked adv so currently ended up buying new '19 that I plan to haul for another 4 years from now... aa tarvata depends appati mood and type of riding batti what I would chose. Family plays major role too- like no kids- can go for day rides or multi day rides when wife is away on vacation, with young kids- sneaking in 2-3 hrs rides itself would become very hard....

Nice bro. I am getting a 1990 transalp africa twin conversion for light adv riding will see how it goes. Where are you located?

52675146770_3f8f214b1f_b.jpg

1 hour ago, jobless said:

Yes bro but if you check on triumph site both 900 and 1200 are listed as 476 lbs which is surprising.

If the op is confident about his riding i would say he just needs to get a bike that he likes. For street riding i Don't think weight would be too much of a factor. Adv riding i definitely agree lot of factors starting with weight. 

If op needs to build confidence may be it's better to start with smaller bikes and progress to bigger bikes organically. 

1200 XE scram I see 530# wet weight in specs, probably you checked it wrong

1 hour ago, jobless said:

Nice bro. I am getting a 1990 transalp africa twin conversion for light adv riding will see how it goes. Where are you located?

52675146770_3f8f214b1f_b.jpg

transalp is cool I think it's 650, they are built to last. thumper's segment is good for dualsports side- another good can't go wrong ante dr650-built like a tank, these days they are coming with ABS too, single track's ki I wouldn't go beyond 350

I stay in carolina's, around 2.5 hrs to bikers heaven aka smokies.. where do you go or based out?

59 minutes ago, Captain_nd_Coke said:

1200 XE scram I see 530# wet weight in specs, probably you checked it wrong

transalp is cool I think it's 650, they are built to last. thumper's segment is good for dualsports side- another good can't go wrong ante dr650-built like a tank, these days they are coming with ABS too, single track's ki I wouldn't go beyond 350

I stay in carolina's, around 2.5 hrs to bikers heaven aka smokies.. where do you go or based out?

Ya we were discussing about speed twin 900 vs 1200 which weigh the same.

Nice. I stay in Austin closer to texas hill country.  Not as great as smokies but they have decent rides.