Why people should be allowed to have AR-15-style weapons - “I think it’s the freedom aspect"

sendral_nakka

Asked why people should be allowed to have AR-15-style weapons, Burchett replied: “I think it’s the freedom aspect. It’s the same way why [President Joe Biden] has a Corvette that can do over 55 miles an hour. Why does he need to travel 100? … It’s just a freedom aspect.”

Rep. Tim Burchett, R-Tenn., told reporters that no laws — existing or proposed — could have stopped Monday’s school shooting in Nashville.

“It’s a horrible, horrible situation, and we’re not going to fix it,” Burchett said. “Criminals are going to be criminals. And my dad, he fought in the Second World War in the Pacific against the Japanese, and he said, ‘Buddy, if somebody wants to take you out and doesn’t mind losing their life, there’s not a whole heck of a lot you can do about it.’”

Burchett went on to say, “I don’t see any real role that [Congress] can do other than mess things up. … I don’t think you’re gonna stop the gun violence. I think you’ve got to change people’s hearts.”

Asked why people should be allowed to have AR-15-style weapons, Burchett replied: “I think it’s the freedom aspect. It’s the same way why [President Joe Biden] has a Corvette that can do over 55 miles an hour. Why does he need to travel 100? … It’s just a freedom aspect.”

GOP Rep. Andy Ogles, whose Nashville district includes the school, said he’s watching the situation closely.

“At a time like this, I just encourage everyone to pray for the families and those affected,” Ogles said.

San Diego Lol GIF by San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance