Cloud storage options cheppandi

*Prince Charming

2 hours ago, *Prince Charming said:

Already Hard disk lo store chesaa, but looking for any affordable cloud storage options. Inka tappadu ante inko hard drive kontaaa

have nas storage.. i got 16tb..i store pics.  any trainung videis etc.. and access from anywhr

2 hours ago, *Prince Charming said:

I have lot of DSLR pics , close to a TB. External HD lo store chesaa konni but worried that might be infected and want to know any cheaper cloud storage options. Meeku telsinavi suggest please......

Prime unte you can store there. But problem with cloud is we'll be stuck with it for ever over time.

3 hours ago, *Prince Charming said:

I have lot of DSLR pics , close to a TB. External HD lo store chesaa konni but worried that might be infected and want to know any cheaper cloud storage options. Meeku telsinavi suggest please......

create multiple account or pay for google one annual plan

1 hour ago, Pavanonline said:

Prime unte you can store there. But problem with cloud is we'll be stuck with it for ever over time.

amazn drive closing baa

There are a few considerations to make before you choose your storage choice.

1. Privacy

2. Security

3. Accessibility

4. Scalability

5. Price

I will tell you what I have done, considering all the above points I went with NAS(I have Synology, but there are other options). You storage will increase in size overtime and it will not stay at 1TB forever. If you choose Google or Apple they have 2TB max plans for $10 a month, not sure if they have any higher storage options and it costs you more every month at the same time they can raise the price of the plan anytime. 

With NAS setup you can start with 2 8TB drives that can have redundancy, so even if I drive fails you will have another backup. The drives come with 3-5 years f warranty and depending on your usage they can last anywhere from 5-10 years. You will option to backup your Photos from any device and there are a lot of other things that you can do with NAS, like setup mail server, host website, stream your content, store your important documents and store your device backup's etc.. 

Lookup about NAS and think about it. Let me know any questions, I will try answer If know about it.

Good luck!

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, southyeast said:

There are a few considerations to make before you choose your storage choice.

1. Privacy

2. Security

3. Accessibility

4. Scalability

5. Price

I will tell you what I have done, considering all the above points I went with NAS(I have Synology, but there are other options). You storage will increase in size overtime and it will not stay at 1TB forever. If you choose Google or Apple they have 2TB max plans for $10 a month, not sure if they have any higher storage options and it costs you more every month at the same time they can raise the price of the plan anytime. 

With NAS setup you can start with 2 8TB drives that can have redundancy, so even if I drive fails you will have another backup. The drives come with 3-5 years f warranty and depending on your usage they can last anywhere from 5-10 years. You will option to backup your Photos from any device and there are a lot of other things that you can do with NAS, like setup mail server, host website, stream your content, store your important documents and store your device backup's etc.. 

Lookup about NAS and think about it. Let me know any questions, I will try answer If know about it.

Good luck!

Thank you, will look it up

6 hours ago, *Prince Charming said:

Already Hard disk lo store chesaa, but looking for any affordable cloud storage options. Inka tappadu ante inko hard drive kontaaa

You need 3 hard disks and keep them in sync

1. regular usage 

2. backup

3. Don’t store this one in your house. Put in bank locker 

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2023 at 4:47 PM, secundrabadi said:

You need 3 hard disks and keep them in sync

1. regular usage 

2. backup

3. Don’t store this one in your house. Put in bank locker 

Most people are not that organized, disciplined or have time to sync or remember to backup disks at least once a month. Your point #3 is what most people don't follow or know its importance fully. If your house gets robbed or gutted in a fire, you stand to lose your data and backups.

The best thing is to outsource backups to cloud services that do it for a living round-the-clock with redundancy, security, power supply, climate control, regulations and all the industry standards... They offer peace of mind and they are dirt cheap for what they offer at scale. Cloud backups work like a clockwork (set it and forget) and offer us mobility. You have better things to do in life than backing up data daily, manually and religiously.

People get health insurance spending hundreds or thousands every month even though they don't use it even once in a year but don't insure/backup their valuable data and precious photos/videos properly !

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sanjiv said:

Most people are not that organized, disciplined or have time to sync to backup disks at least once a month. Your point #3 is what most people don't follow or know its importance fully. If your house gets robbed or gutted in a fire, you stand to lose your data and backups.

The best thing is to outsource backups to cloud services that do it for a living round-the-clock with redundancy, security, power supply, climate control, regulations and all the industry standards... They offer peace of mind and they are dirt cheap.

You are right. Cloud is easy. Hard disks are cheap if someone is organized 

9 hours ago, *Prince Charming said:

Amazon photos free and unlimited kada with prime account 

In this day and age you can automate backups for most of the devices, that is where NAS shines and you have a lot of open source options to do that. If you are planning to store with Amazon prime, they can change their policy from unlimited storage anytime and read somewhere they are planning to raise the Prime membership to $179 annually. Some of these unlimited photo storage services will compress your files and could use your data for AI/ML projects.

Coming to external backup's, you can find if any of your friends using NAS and buck-up a copy on their NAS by providing them a HDD and that can be automated and encrypted for privacy. Synology provides Hyper back-up service to backup remotely for any important files at reasonable price, which is only for important stuff.

If your house is robbed or caught fire, there are other important things to worry about. The NAS drives are encrypted so even if they are robbed, they cannot be accessed. I am not sure if they are encrypted with some of the cloud providers.

Anyways It is up to you what you want to go with, this is my two cents and wanted to help you make a informed decision.