This is insane: suspect is left free, great lesson to deal with cops in the US

JaiBalayyaaa

He did not confess but this is BS to keep talking to cops all day in 3 separate sessions. The video glorifies wrongly what he did is legendary but it is moronic, to say the least.

If they say he is not under arrest, he has to ask if he is free to leave and they will have no reason to hold him longer.

Once they confirm he is under arrest, all he has to do is just say, "I invoke the 5th. I want to speak to a lawyer" and don't say anything after that. And the cops will have no other option but to shut their mouths and back off. Period.

They are not the court, they are not the judge, they are not his lawyer, they are not his friends (even though they always "act" like his BFF), all they are trying to do is get some brownie points from his confession. He did not assert that he invokes the 5th. So the cops kept grilling him with more and more questions, tricks and threats all day (because they can). They are questioning him repeatedly because they need a reason/confession to "justify" his arrest that will "hold up" in the court but they don't have sh!t. They need "his help" to charge him with crime!! If they had evidence, they wouldn't be speaking to him. If he keeps quiet, the burden is on them to find evidence so they can charge him.

The same applies to when a traffic cop stops and asks, "Do you know why I stopped you?" as the first question - he is trying to get a confession out of you outright (that you were speeding, etc) and "help him write you up" and make his job easy! Just say, "No officer, I don't know why you stopped me". If he says you were speeding, just say, "No officer, I believe I was driving within the limit".

The lesser you talk to cops, the stronger your case is. Cops are anything but your friends. Cops usually charge people with multiple offenses - as many as possible like speeding, expired license, registration, insurance, run your ID to see if there are any arrest warrants against you, run your license plate to see if the car is stolen, etc. (in case of a traffic stop) so that even if some of the charges slip through the cracks in the court, some of them will hold up and get the person convicted. Brownie points for the cop.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sanjiv said:

He did not confess but this is BS to keep talking to cops all day in 3 separate sessions. The video glorifies wrongly what he did is legendary but it is moronic, to say the least.

If they say he is not under arrest, he has to ask if he is free to leave and they will have no reason to hold him longer.

Once they confirm he is under arrest, all he has to do is just say, "I invoke the 5th. I want to speak to a lawyer" and don't say anything after that. And the cops will have no other option but to shut their mouths and back off. Period.

They are not the court, they are not the judge, they are not his lawyer, they are not his friends (even though they always "act" like his BFF), all they are trying to do is get some brownie points from his confession. He did not assert that he invokes the 5th. So the cops kept grilling him with more and more questions, tricks and threats all day (because they can). They are questioning him repeatedly because they need a reason/confession to "justify" his arrest that will "hold up" in the court but they don't have sh!t. They need "his help" to charge him with crime!! If they had evidence, they wouldn't be speaking to him. If he keeps quiet, the burden is on them to find evidence so they can charge him.

The same applies to when a traffic cop stops and asks, "Do you know why I stopped you?" as the first question - he is trying to get a confession out of you outright (that you were speeding, etc) and "help him charge you" and make his job easy! Just say, "No officer, I don't know why you stopped me". If he says you were speeding, just say, "No officer, I believe I was driving within the limit".

The lesser you talk to cops, the stronger your case is. Cops are anything but your friends. Cops usually charge people with multiple offenses - as many as possible like speeding, expired license, registration, insurance, run your ID/license plate to see if there are any warrants, etc. (in case of a traffic stop) so that even if some of them slip through the cracks in the court, some of them will hold up and get the person convicted. Brownie points for the cop.

Same principle applied by YS Avinash Reddy