Colonoscopy

Visitor

On 4/18/2023 at 1:37 AM, rmJU72 said:

they first give meds and limited diet plan to ensure our intestines are clean.
then they put a camera inside and physically see if any issues.
as someone pointed out they might take out small growths if any and do a biopsy on it to check if cancerous.

it’s a routine in the US at around 45, and earlier if issues or if parents had colon cancer.

Btw, also have ur parents in India also have it done. It’s a good preventative check.
It seems men are most affected by colon cancers comparatively.

Not true. Women are. The suggested diagnostic age for women is 10 yrs less than men. 

12 minutes ago, Lachana said:

3DAYSBEFORE THE EXAM:
• Stop eating all high fiber foods: No raw fruits or vegetable, whole grain wheat or multi-grain foods, nuts, wheat pasta, popcorn, seeds, beans, lentils, bran, bread, brown rice, bulking agents.
• Okay to eat: Cooked vegetables, fish, chicken, pasta, white rice
Discontinue NSAIDs, prescriptionand over-the-counter. (i.e. Motrin, Advil, Celebrex etc.)

THE DAY BEFORETHEEXAM:
• MEDICATIONS:
• Unless instructed otherwise by your physician, continue to take al your medications as prescribed. O DIABETES MEDICATIONS:
• FI YOU ARE DIABETIC, contact your endocrinologist or primary care doctor who manages your diabetes medications to get instructions on how to take your medications when you are fasting on the day of the prior and the day of your colonoscopy procedure.
• EXCEPTION: FI YOU HAVE DIABETES AND ARE TAKING ONLY ORAL DIABETES MEDICATION continue to take your oral medication the day prior to the procedure but hold the medication the day of the procedure until you are able to eat. Continue to test your sugar levels.

CLEAR LQIUDI DIET.
TAKE ONLY A CLEAR LQIUID DEIT THE ENTRIE DAY PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM.
• NO SOLID FOODS.
o You may continue on the clear liquid diet up until midnight.
o Start drinking liquids in the morning the day prior ot your exam, and drink through out the entire day. 

Donot just drink the liquids recommended to be taken with your prep. The more you drink on the day medical prior to your procedure, the better your prep will be.
NO s o l i d s , o r m i l k p r o d u c t s 
• NO alcohol on the day before or the day of the procedure.

@JANASENA similar was for me too

procedure morning kalla stool was clear liquid 

59 minutes ago, Jatka Bandi said:

Not true. Women are. The suggested diagnostic age for women is 10 yrs less than men. 

online says men are more prone. but I’m not an expert. man or woman, just get it done to be safe.

3 hours ago, rmJU72 said:

online says men are more prone. but I’m not an expert. man or woman, just get it done to be safe.

Emo. Current guideline says screening for men starts at 60 and women at 50 (these ages are a scam by the insurance companies and I agree with you that everyone needs to get scanned early atleast once). Dani basis meeda antunna. I also saw a lot of women in these support groups. Andukani. 

On 4/17/2023 at 4:07 PM, rmJU72 said:

they first give meds and limited diet plan to ensure our intestines are clean.
then they put a camera inside and physically see if any issues.
as someone pointed out they might take out small growths if any and do a biopsy on it to check if cancerous.

it’s a routine in the US at around 45, and earlier if issues or if parents had colon cancer.

Btw, also have ur parents in India also have it done. It’s a good preventative check.
It seems men are most affected by colon cancers comparatively.

why is that my doc recommending yearly stool tests instead 

1 hour ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

why is that my doc recommending yearly stool tests instead 

Perhaps ur case is different from a regular age based checkup?

just ask the doc clearly. at least in the US the doctors will answer ur questions patiently.

13 minutes ago, rmJU72 said:

Perhaps ur case is different from a regular age based checkup?

just ask the doc clearly. at least in the US the doctors will answer ur questions patiently.

Funny thing is last year they prescribed the test, which I never took. This year, same person said just do the stool test

7 minutes ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

Funny thing is last year they prescribed the test, which I never took. This year, same person said just do the stool test

don’t ignore this at all, any issues it’s best to detect early