S.M Krishna VS CBN

andhra_jp

S.M. Krishna, the flamboyant former Chief Minister of Karnataka credited with sowing the seeds of the tech boom, recalls the initial years when Bengaluru was evolving from a ‘pensioners’ paradise’ into the ‘Silicon Valley of India’.Former Chief Minister S.M. Krishna is credited with sowing the seeds of the tech boom in Bengaluru, the capital of Karnataka, in the early 2000s.Former Chief Minister S.M. Krishna is credited with sowing the seeds of the tech boom in Bengaluru, the capital of Karnataka, in the early 2000s.

Karnataka’s tech business had a humble beginning. In 1991-92, its software exports were a mere ₹16 crore contributed by 13 companies, employing less than 2,000 people.
A year later, it was ₹22 crore and in 1993-94 the State’s software exports were ₹56 crore. Within the next five years,
in 1999, the State’s software exports crossed ₹3,500 crore. And, since then, there was no looking back
and in 2022 State’s over 1,400 IT firms that employ over 4 million people exported software worth ₹6,30,000 crore, close to 40% of the country’s total exports.

Y2K (the millennium bug) and SMK happened to Karnataka concurrently in 1999. What role did the two play in unleashing the growth of IT in the State?

It so happened that when I became the CM in 1999, there was vigorous activity in the IT and BT sector. Fortunately, we were right there to catch the benefit of the beginning of the tech revolution that was taking place. We went all out to explore the opportunity, and we did not look back. Wipro’s Azim Premji and Infosys’ Narayana Murthy, and other leaders, came and worked in cohesion with the government. Bengaluru slowly started getting some recognition, although until the early 2000s, the city faced stiff competition from Andhra Pradesh. Thanks to Y2K, Bengaluru started getting global recognition in early 2000 itself.

Being the CM, how tough was it for you to convince MNCs to invest in Karnataka and set up shop here, during those initial years?

I had a big passion for IT because I had many friends working in IT in the U.S those days. A tech churn was happening, and some of them had relocated to Bengaluru. I sought help from my friends, and the existing industry, to make Bengaluru the Silicon hub of India. We formed the Chief Minister’s Consultative Committee. I still remember I telephoned Premji to invite him to be a part of it. He stayed on Sarjapur Road and asked me — Do you know how badly this area is maintained? Have you ever visited this area? If you want me to come to Vidhana Soudha, it would take at least three hours. Immediately, I asked the Chief Engineer of PWD to go to Sarjapur, and prepare a plan for the rejuvenation of the commuting system, roads and overall infrastructure there. Premji came to Vidhana Soudha, and became part of the CM’s Committee. I think, all these provided a tremendous boost for our claims, and these were the defining moments for Bengaluru and Karnataka. I am happy that it has, by and large, maintained that growth trajectory.

IT, software, hi-tech, etc, were not familiar words those days. What were the biggest challenges you faced to get the political administration, bureaucracy and industry to work together?

For our officers, it was a new idea, not yet exposed to, and not known. I got Balki Krishnamurthy from IISc. to work with us. Our officers went to IISc. to get themselves oriented. It was overall a co-operative effort, between the administrative missionary of Karnataka government, IISc., IIMB, and many other R&D institutions. Together, we were able to make big strides, laying a solid foundation to support waves of growth that came later.

What exactly made it happen for Bengaluru, especially when the city was under the heat of competition from Hyderabad and Chandrababu Naidu (the then CM of Andhra Pradesh) in those days?

Bengaluru always had the infrastructural advantage. We have the IISc., several research, defence and scientific establishments. We have Central PSUs such as ITI, HAL, BEL, and others. With IT and BT, we were adding another dimension of growth, inviting a huge new wave.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/floods-and-the-resultant-mess-reveal-that-bengaluru-is-not-all-gloss-s-m-krishna-interview/article66917299.ece

Yekkada S.M Krishna interview loo self dabba leekunda very polished gaa team effort ani chepparu,...

thats lacking in CBN though no one denies he worked hard but he brushes away other people's hand work and project himself .... and that attitude no one likes in CBN

1 minute ago, andhra_jp said:

Yekkada S.M Krishna interview loo self dabba leekunda very polished gaa team effort ani chepparu,...

thats lacking in CBN though no one denies he worked hard but he brushes away other people's hand work and project himself .... and that attitude no one likes in CBN

95-2004 ki credit thisukunna parledhu. 92 lo msft lo join satya credit, 92-93 lo india ki vachina cell phones credit kooda thisukuntunnadu

• Haha 1

In 2004 , Bengaluru had almost four times IT exports than erstwhile andhra pradesh 

Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra were comfortably ahead in too 

Infact all 3 states had similar or better growth rate than AP in that decade 

Media management valla motham chamba Valle Ani prajalu nammaru anthey

https://www.hindustantimes.com/business/south-accounts-for-58-of-software-exports-in-2003-04/story-eMOfwk5qMEeodJhkGiA0YL_amp.html

• Upvote 1