Retirement benefits for non-US citizens who have 40 credits.

JackSeal

1 minute ago, JackSeal said:

Sharing this so others in the same boat can benefit.

Visited local SSA office today to clarify if I am eligible for receiving retirement benefits at the age of 62, I am not a US citizen and I have earned the 40 credits after working for 10+ years in US. (you can check by creating an account on ssa.gov)

The staff at the SSA office was courteous and she had the had good understanding on the clarifications I was seeking.

She confirmed that I qualify to receive the retirement benefit at age 62. 3 months before I turn 62 I need to visit a local office, if not I have to go to Manila Philippines depending on where there is SSA office after 20 years.

Below are some questions she clarified

1.    As a non-citizen do I qualify - Yes

2.    If I stop working in US next month does that impact my qualification - No

3.    Can I add my dependents as beneficiaries at this point - No

4.    Is there a requirement to be in US for a month every 6 months post-age 62 to avail the retirement benefit - No there is no requirement to be physically present in the US, you need to visit the local Embassy/Consulate where they have SSA department and they work with SSA office in Maryland.

5.    Should I lock my SSN account - No (she thought I was asking about online account, I was asking about credit freeze that can be done with credit unions)

6.    Do I need to inform SSA that I am leaving US - No

7.    For people who don't have 40 credits can they get their contributions back - No

8.    Any other suggestions you have on taking care of the SSN account (I was seriously looking for her suggestions on any other formalities I need to do before leaving US) - No, just that I hope you are taking the right decision for your family, sometimes moving back is not the best thing. (I was like thanks for the concern :) In my head - I dont want to convince one more person) 

Hope that helps!

(Forwarded Message. Check with SSA office before your move to India)

At this rate, you get peanuts if you retire after 2035. 

There is no money left

5 minutes ago, MiryalgudaMaruthiRao said:

entha vatsadi taatha?

Ssa account create cheskunte akkada cheptharu. Ssa statement would tell you thr total benefits u receive based on ur current earmings.

9 minutes ago, akkum_bakkum said:

Ssa account create cheskunte akkada cheptharu. Ssa statement would tell you thr total benefits u receive based on ur current earmings.

link please 

inko 4 years I will retire and reach 62 telusukuntey better kada

11 minutes ago, akkum_bakkum said:

What if I die before 62? Will my family be able to get it? Nenu anni years doubtee

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JackSeal said:

Visited local SSA office today to clarify if I am eligible for receiving retirement benefits at the age of 62, I am not a US citizen and I have earned the 40 credits after working for 10+ years in US. (you can check by creating an account on ssa.gov)

The staff at the SSA office was courteous and she had the had good understanding on the clarifications I was seeking.

She confirmed that I qualify to receive the retirement benefit at age 62. 3 months before I turn 62 I need to visit a local office, if not I have to go to Manila Philippines depending on where there is SSA office after 20 years.

4.    Is there a requirement to be in US for a month every 6 months post-age 62 to avail the retirement benefit - No there is no requirement to be physically present in the US, you need to visit the local Embassy/Consulate where they have SSA department and they work with SSA office in Maryland.

5.    Should I lock my SSN account - No (she thought I was asking about online account, I was asking about credit freeze that can be done with credit unions)

7.    For people who don't have 40 credits can they get their contributions back - No

8.    Any other suggestions you have on taking care of the SSN account (I was seriously looking for her suggestions on any other formalities I need to do before leaving US) - No, just that I hope you are taking the right decision for your family, sometimes moving back is not the best thing. (I was like thanks for the concern :) In my head - I dont want to convince one more person) 

Hope that helps!

All ok except non us citizens…. If you are from few countries this is all good.. Indians ki eligibility ledu.. for now you have to be a citizen to get SSN money…Andhuke all uncles wait until citizenship to go back to India 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Indians not eligible without GC and citizenship

See this https://www.ssa.gov/international/countrylist4.htm

Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States

Country List 4

Your payments will continue even if you have been outside the U.S. for more than six full calendar months, if you are a citizen of one of the countries listed below, and the worker on whose record your benefits are based lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years or earned at least 40 credits under the U.S. Social Security system.

India is in the list of those countries.

46 minutes ago, JackSeal said:

Hope that helps!

Currently having 36 points . 

Really I did not understand how it works