Carjack by teen on indianexpats

Raazu

Yesterday, I parked my car on the street to quickly drop a package at FedEx, with my wife and 5 month old were sitting in the back seat (my kid was in car seat), a teen sat in the driver’s seat and started the car. My wife panicked and opened the door and started crying for help. He pushed her out of the car, pressed the gas and ran away with my car and 5 month old. We both obviously panicked (honestly our blood ran cold and didn’t what to do), called 911, luckily a cop car just took a turn around the corner. We told them what happ and in a minute the city police cars were alerted and they started the chase. That teen drove my car to nearby ShopRite and left my 5-month old in parking lot and ran away with the car. A lady passing by, was surprised to see an infant on the floor picked him up and called cops. The cop car that we were in drove there and we got our son back. Some bruises on his face but generally doing ok. 
That teen ran away with the car but the police eventually chased him down and arrested him. 

Questions: 
1. The lieutenant handling the case said the teen is arrested, we have enough evidence via cameras etc to win the case in the court. It’s degree 1 crime to kidnap an infant and there will be 10-20 years of imprisonment. However, the junior officers later told me that the teen will be released in a day or two bcoz he is a juvenile, and when he is eventually convicted in the trial then his jail term starts. Are the criminals released the next day after they commit such horrific crime and back on the streets to commit more crime? Doesn’t some family has to apply for bail for them to get released?
2. The police says the case will be The State vs that criminal teen and I won’t be part of it nor will they let me know of the trial nor will I know the verdict. Is there anyway to be a part of the case? I want to see some justice at least. 

Just some advice:
1. Downtown Jersey City, Exchange place, Grove Street, Newport area appear to be safe. But after talking to the police officers yesterday, it’s not safe at all. There are car jacking, car stealing, robberies often reported around the train station. So be alert and vigilant.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Raazu said:

Yesterday, I parked my car on the street to quickly drop a package at FedEx, with my wife and 5 month old were sitting in the back seat (my kid was in car seat), a teen sat in the driver’s seat and started the car. My wife panicked and opened the door and started crying for help. He pushed her out of the car, pressed the gas and ran away with my car and 5 month old. We both obviously panicked (honestly our blood ran cold and didn’t what to do), called 911, luckily a cop car just took a turn around the corner. We told them what happ and in a minute the city police cars were alerted and they started the chase. That teen drove my car to nearby ShopRite and left my 5-month old in parking lot and ran away with the car. A lady passing by, was surprised to see an infant on the floor picked him up and called cops. The cop car that we were in drove there and we got our son back. Some bruises on his face but generally doing ok. 
That teen ran away with the car but the police eventually chased him down and arrested him. 

Questions: 
1. The lieutenant handling the case said the teen is arrested, we have enough evidence via cameras etc to win the case in the court. It’s degree 1 crime to kidnap an infant and there will be 10-20 years of imprisonment. However, the junior officers later told me that the teen will be released in a day or two bcoz he is a juvenile, and when he is eventually convicted in the trial then his jail term starts. Are the criminals released the next day after they commit such horrific crime and back on the streets to commit more crime? Doesn’t some family has to apply for bail for them to get released?
2. The police says the case will be The State vs that criminal teen and I won’t be part of it nor will they let me know of the trial nor will I know the verdict. Is there anyway to be a part of the case? I want to see some justice at least. 

Just some advice:
1. Downtown Jersey City, Exchange place, Grove Street, Newport area appear to be safe. But after talking to the police officers yesterday, it’s not safe at all. There are car jacking, car stealing, robberies often reported around the train station. So be alert and vigilant.

ninna chusa idhi..maree dhaarunam...

4 hours ago, Raazu said:

Questions: 

Just some advice:

Why do they want to be part of the case?? That matter is between the state and the suspect and everybody knows it except these dumb parents.

What do they want to WIN when they can't even press charges? Do they want GC or citizenship based on this incident when they don't even have the very basic commonsense to lock the car door with an infant in the car?

6 minutes ago, Sanjiv said:

Why do they want to be part of the case?? That matter is between the state and the suspect and everybody knows it except these clown parents.

What do they want to WIN when they can't even press charges? Do they want GC or citizenship based on this incident when they don't even have the very basic commonsense to lock the car door with an infant in the car? What a jerk!

lock the car when there are passengers in the car??

there can be hundred reasons to not lock the car? how can you judge the people who suffered instead of thought on who did this

50 minutes ago, pakeer_saab said:

lock the car when there are passengers in the car??

there can be hundred reasons to not lock the car? how can you judge the people who suffered instead of thought on who did this

What's wrong with locking the doors when you are inside? You should always lock doors for safety when you are inside the car. Hundred reasons? quote just 10 reasons here...

The fact they did not lock the doors and want to be part of the case shows they don't know nothing about how to live in this country or how things work.

Whoever did this will be dealt with by the state. It is none of their business.

1 hour ago, Sanjiv said:

Why do they want to be part of the case?? That matter is between the state and the suspect and everybody knows it except these clown parents.

What do they want to WIN when they can't even press charges? Do they want GC or citizenship based on this incident when they don't even have the very basic commonsense to lock the car door with an infant in the car? What a jerk!

What’s wrong with you? Why would he lock the car when people are inside. Why are you bashing them when they are merely victims in this incident. No one would be happy to let that teenager be released the next day after going through such horrific incident. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sanjiv said:

em matladuthunnaavu kaaka. maree violent unnaavu gaa #$1  

58 minutes ago, BabuDEVUDU said:

What’s wrong with you? Why would he lock the car when people are inside. Why are you bashing them when they are merely victims in this incident. No one would be happy to let that teenager be released the next day after going through such horrific incident. 

Welcome to America!

Why would they not lock the door when they are inside the car?? Do they even know the word "safety"? This is not India.

You expect the laws to be amended so you can live your own cozy way (good luck with that) or you wanna learn how to live in this country (better chance at being alive)?

Like it or not - those dumb parents endangered their own child's life out of ignorance. Period.

Every parent tries to play the victim card when they don't know what they are doing.

At least know what you are talking before making vague statements -

https://www.tdi.texas.gov/blog/five-reasons-you-should-always-lock-your-car-or-truck.html#:~:text=Lock up as soon as,you from surprise break-ins.

https://www.google.com/search?q=should+you+lock+car+doors+when+sitting+in+car

Lock the doors even while pumping gas -

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=744922952949460

What kind of idiot would leave leave the car doors unlocked with the keys inside it?? That's a tempting invitation to burglars. Don't blame them - blame yourself.

Learn how to live - it will reward you and save you from heartache someday. No one taught me any of these and I've been using these for years after figuring them out of my own commonsense. Turned out what I was doing was the right way.

Crime can happen anywhere - even in posh localities.

One of my friends living in a post apartment returned from shopping in the night, his wife and kid went inside the house and he was picking up the groceries from the SUV. Then 3 guys in hoodies walked out of nowhere and at gunpoint (he literally pee'd in his pants), took his car keys and also his phone (so he won't be able to call cops immediately) and drove off. On their way, they threw away his phone prolly into a river so they cannot be tracked, committed some intended crime using his stolen car and then abandoned the car which was recovered later but the phone was lost without a trace.

Always be alert and be aware of your surroundings. Don't get cozy and never trust anybody.

56 minutes ago, Marsmangalodu said:

Varnee car running lo undaga lock chesthe arichi mingutundi ga Etta lock chestadayya

You cannot have everything. Locking is electronically arming the car so it will scream in the event of tampering or impact. You should be able to turn the lock lever on the doors to on position mechanically without arming the car. If this is not possible, just everybody go into the store and don't keep your family sitting in the car with the keys inside it and doors unlocked. Simple.