Hospitals in USA are big scam - lost father-in-law

bankris

My father-in-law came to the USA last November. Suddenly he fell ill, and we took him to urgent care.. they charged $800.. gave him some medicines.. after a few days his condition worsened.. we took him to urgent care, and they asked us to take him to emergency. They admitted him in the hospital.. for four days and sent him home as his condition is stabilized.. he fell ill again in 10 days. went to emergency.. they admitted him for 15 days now and sent him home.. on the day they discharged him, we noticed he had lost hearing... and told the same to Doctor, and they neglected.. after coming home.. we realized he got severe ear infection.. lot of discharge from ear.. he was again admitted to hospital for 15 days.. and discharged.. after coming we noticed he has a lot of  rash on his head... and nurse came home and checked and confirmed it is shingless.. now again admitted to hospital for over a month...HE became very week and lost all muscle as didnt have solid food for almost 3 months by now.  Only liquid food.. Doctors couldn't diagnize what is the actual issues.. they did lot of MRI scans.. CT scans .. Chest Xrays... could not find anything.. They gave a lot of steroids... medicines.. anti-biotics.. We suffered a lot for 4 months.. with new born.. both me and my wife working and my father-in-law in hospital.. It was hell..

Finally, he passed away in hospital at the end of MAy.. The total bill came to $300,000.. Hospitals in USA are a big scam..

At any point had we taken my father-in-law to India, he would have survived.. Doctors here are very slow.. Laws are so that Doctors can't take independent decisions to give aggressive treatments.. Some of the Doctors are Indians and they themselves agreed that had it been in India, he would have survived... 

We couldn't take him to India coz none of us have stamping.. plus didn't get the passport yet. We asked many people and posted in many facebook groups that if there is anyone who can take them, we can pay the full charge... But, no luck..

Upon an extensive search in the internet, we found there are companies who transport such patients across countries after getting necessary approvals from doctors and airlines, and airports. Basically bed to bed service. They take patients from the hospital bed in USA to hospital bed in India.. They take care of everything.  But we came to very late.. They have 3 options. We hired the company called Air med services (https://airmedgroup.com).

1. Book a private air ambulance - $200,000 - They will send the patient in private jet with a doctor and trained nurse and equipment (oxygen, emergency medicines etc)

2. They will book 9-10 seats in the commercial airline to place a stretcher. A trained nurse will go with patient with all necessary equipment. This costs $60,000.

3. They will book a first class/business class seat in commercial airline and a trained nurse will accompany the patient with all necessary equipment. Any where between $20,000 to $30,000.

AS soon as we came to know about this service, we booked them by opting #3 option and paid $25,000. 

They booked the flights and contacts both source hospital (USA) and destination hospital (Vizag), checked the patient condition, got all necessary instructions from Doctors, approvals from airlines, ambulances from hospital to airlines were arranged.. But, unfortunately, two days before his travel , his condition went very bad and he passed away.. Our lives shattered, we didn't know what to do.. 

We complained to doctors hospital management.. we know there is obvious negligence from hospital side at every step.. They themselves know it.. They even asked if we want to do a autopsy.. But, we rejected. HE already suffered a lot in hospital. We didnt want his body to be cut.. We creamted him in here itself in USA (After speaking to his immediate family) in India.. My wife is his only child. 

The hospital could not sign on his death certificate until now. Its been almost two months now.. Usually, Death certificate will be signed within 2 weeks.. 

Hospitals and insurance companies are a big scam here in USA.. India is far better and far advanced than USA now a days.. Plus USA hospitals are very short-staffed now... 

Sorry all for the long post.. But, I guess this will be helpful for our Indian community.. HAd we know about that Air ambulance services 2 months before, we could have transfered him to India and he would have been alive.. 

He came to USA as a normal person.. now he is no more.. He is 67 years old.. no bad habits.. had been yoga guru for almost 2 decades.. he ahs been actively doing yoga all along.. a chemical engineer.. At that age also, he used to play with local Indian guys.. he was very passionate about Cricket and Tennis.. All guys used to be surprised that he is able to run and play cricket at that age.. better than many other guys.. 

HE is very educated and has knowledge in every field including medical.. He used to read about medicines that were given in hsopital and he himself told us that if he is in the hospital for long with such medication, he will not see India soil.. he will die in USA itself and that's exactly is what happened.. 

He never allowed us to sign any document in the hospital for responsibility.. Even in such abd health he signed himself in all documents..This really helped us.. We are not liable for any hospital bills as he signed himself.. Other wise we would have to pay $300, 000 bill now. 

• Sad 28

sry to hear, unfortunate situation

db folks reading up, take insurance for your parents/in-laws even if its expensive and even if its a hit or miss with respect to bills, atleast repatriation of remains to India will be covered if the insured is deceased in an unfortunate situation

1 minute ago, Jatka Bandi said:

Sorry for your loss.

I do not want to make a statement where you will feel more regret. Anyway, have you had posted here, I would have helped you out with the travel. Online portals lo post chese badalu, couldn't you find local people who were willing to fly with him? Students may have done it as they are getting a free trip to India!

Secondly, all the people get your mind straight. Meeru troll chese TANA, NATA, NATS, ATA organizations are very helpful in these scenarios. Telidu ani ippudu badha pade badalu, you should approach these organizations promptly. They will help you find your way. Also, Indian citizen in trouble ani local consulates ki report cheyadam nerchukondi. They will come and stand for you. 

yes. I posted in many forums.. talked to so many local people. Even contacted my own friends who are citizens.. Every one has their own things going in their life.. Can't force anyone.. We were in such a bad situation. Fate was not with us.. unfortunately i have to give this statement. My wife had had gone through C section delivery and so, she is in her dificult situation. I have a toddler child already.. So, I could not myself take him to India.. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, bankris said:

yes. I posted in many forums.. talked to so many local people. Even contacted my own friends who are citizens.. Every one has their own things going in their life.. Can't force anyone.. We were in such a bad situation. Fate was not with us.. unfortunately i have to give this statement. My wife had had gone through C section delivery and so, she is in her dificult situation. I have a toddler child already.. So, I could not myself take him to India.. 

Caretakers baga vuntaru ikkada. Normalize the habit of hiring a midwife closer to pregnancy. 

Just now, Jatka Bandi said:

Caretakers baga vuntaru ikkada. Normalize the habit of hiring a midwife closer to pregnancy. 

Dude, i live in a very small town where you hardly find any Indians... forget about caretakers.. We even hired a nanny for my toddler.. paying massive amounts.. she switches the TV on for the kid and sits with him.. nothing more.. 

13 minutes ago, Jatka Bandi said:

Sorry for your loss.

I do not want to make a statement where you will feel more regret. Anyway, if this came to my attention, I would have helped you out with the travel. Online portals lo post chese badalu, couldn't you find local people who were willing to fly with him? Students may have done it as they are getting a free trip to India!

Secondly, all the people get your mind straight. Meeru troll chese TANA, NATA, NATS, ATA organizations are very helpful in these scenarios. Telidu ani ippudu badha pade badalu, you should approach these organizations promptly. They will help you find your way. Also, Indian citizen in trouble ani local consulates ki report cheyadam nerchukondi. They will come and stand for you. 

I tried to call the so-called TANA etc people with the numbers I found on the website.. but never heard back from anyone.. Even called some SEWA organizations. It happened on Friday.. We were in shock.. we didn't know what to do next.. have spent massive amounts already.. Found a crematorium in a nearby big city and called a priest from that city's temple and got all final rites done.. tried to call many friends.. but not much people attended.. 

Life Lessons - Deal with situations yourself.. do not expect help from anyone. If you get help, be happy else.. no regrets. be prepared to deal yourself the situations.. 

My father-in-law had a massive number of friends in India. But, he went alone in this foreign land.. The only respite is that his both grandchildren are with him during his last minutes.. 

I alone know how much we struggled in the last few months.. Lots of money gone.. no peace.. anger on doctors.. hospitals.. frustration.. helplessness.. and not to mention guilt..that we couldn't save him.. 

• Sad 6