Hospitals in USA are big scam - lost father-in-law

bankris

Post chadivetappudu I visualized myself and my dad. Bayam vesindi. You handled the situation well and sorry for your loss. You are a good Son in Law. I need to change a lot... I don't even talk to my in laws.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, har_D_ick said:

Sorry for your loss.. i dont generalise but i agree with you to an extent.. Doctors here (infact in india also) follow medical guidelines which was pretty much crafted by a system of pharma, insurance lobby..

One example in these lines , My mom diagnosed with BIRAD level 3 when in usa, Bispsy also confirmed the same, doctors here suggested ( I would say no option) to go for mastectomy.. We are scared to death, went back to india .. visited tata memorial.. a known doctor clearly said mastectomy is popular in usa medical because insurance dictates it, we went for further Biopsy and after detailed checks it was nothing but atypical, 10 years still healthy with no signs of reoccurrence Had we opted for mastectomy, we would have compromised my mom's  quality life style.. 

FYI - In india it is much worse now.. we cannot blame doctors as they are dictated by pharma and insurance lobby. Most of the doctors doesn't even know the root causes of patients issues, they simply go by diagnosis methods dictated to them.

watch videos by padma vibhushan dr. B.m.hegde

yep india is even worse u at least get emergency care in the usa but in india no one cares and i dont get it why ppl complain a lot about usa nd still stay here

3 minutes ago, hotmaddy said:

Post chadivetappudu I visualized myself and my dad. Bayam vesindi. You handled the situation well and sorry for your loss. You are a good Son in Law. I need to change a lot... I don't even talk to my in laws.

I'm happy if this can bring a change in your attitude towards our elders! At that old age, we need to be in support of them. No matter how bad or good they are! We are in this world because of them! I did have a fight with my father-in-law only once in the entire 9 years that I know him. 

12 hours ago, bankris said:

My father-in-law came to the USA last November. Suddenly he fell ill, and we took him to urgent care.. they charged $800.. gave him some medicines.. after a few days his condition worsened.. we took him to urgent care, and they asked us to take him to emergency. They admitted him in the hospital.. for four days and sent him home as his condition is stabilized.. he fell ill again in 10 days. went to emergency.. they admitted him for 15 days now and sent him home.. on the day they discharged him, we noticed he had lost hearing... and told the same to Doctor, and they neglected.. after coming home.. we realized he got severe ear infection.. lot of discharge from ear.. he was again admitted to hospital for 15 days.. and discharged.. after coming we noticed he has a lot of  rash on his head... and nurse came home and checked and confirmed it is shingless.. now again admitted to hospital for over a month...HE became very week and lost all muscle as didnt have solid food for almost 3 months by now.  Only liquid food.. Doctors couldn't diagnize what is the actual issues.. they did lot of MRI scans.. CT scans .. Chest Xrays... could not find anything.. They gave a lot of steroids... medicines.. anti-biotics.. We suffered a lot for 4 months.. with new born.. both me and my wife working and my father-in-law in hospital.. It was hell..

Finally, he passed away in hospital at the end of MAy.. The total bill came to $300,000.. Hospitals in USA are a big scam..

At any point had we taken my father-in-law to India, he would have survived.. Doctors here are very slow.. Laws are so that Doctors can't take independent decisions to give aggressive treatments.. Some of the Doctors are Indians and they themselves agreed that had it been in India, he would have survived... 

We couldn't take him to India coz none of us have stamping.. plus didn't get the passport yet. We asked many people and posted in many facebook groups that if there is anyone who can take them, we can pay the full charge... But, no luck..

Upon an extensive search in the internet, we found there are companies who transport such patients across countries after getting necessary approvals from doctors and airlines, and airports. Basically bed to bed service. They take patients from the hospital bed in USA to hospital bed in India.. They take care of everything.  But we came to very late.. They have 3 options. We hired the company called Air med services (https://airmedgroup.com).

1. Book a private air ambulance - $200,000 - They will send the patient in private jet with a doctor and trained nurse and equipment (oxygen, emergency medicines etc)

2. They will book 9-10 seats in the commercial airline to place a stretcher. A trained nurse will go with patient with all necessary equipment. This costs $60,000.

3. They will book a first class/business class seat in commercial airline and a trained nurse will accompany the patient with all necessary equipment. Any where between $20,000 to $30,000.

AS soon as we came to know about this service, we booked them by opting #3 option and paid $25,000. 

They booked the flights and contacts both source hospital (USA) and destination hospital (Vizag), checked the patient condition, got all necessary instructions from Doctors, approvals from airlines, ambulances from hospital to airlines were arranged.. But, unfortunately, two days before his travel , his condition went very bad and he passed away.. Our lives shattered, we didn't know what to do.. 

We complained to doctors hospital management.. we know there is obvious negligence from hospital side at every step.. They themselves know it.. They even asked if we want to do a autopsy.. But, we rejected. HE already suffered a lot in hospital. We didnt want his body to be cut.. We creamted him in here itself in USA (After speaking to his immediate family) in India.. My wife is his only child. 

The hospital could not sign on his death certificate until now. Its been almost two months now.. Usually, Death certificate will be signed within 2 weeks.. 

Hospitals and insurance companies are a big scam here in USA.. India is far better and far advanced than USA now a days.. Plus USA hospitals are very short-staffed now... 

Sorry all for the long post.. But, I guess this will be helpful for our Indian community.. HAd we know about that Air ambulance services 2 months before, we could have transfered him to India and he would have been alive.. 

He came to USA as a normal person.. now he is no more.. He is 67 years old.. no bad habits.. had been yoga guru for almost 2 decades.. he ahs been actively doing yoga all along.. a chemical engineer.. At that age also, he used to play with local Indian guys.. he was very passionate about Cricket and Tennis.. All guys used to be surprised that he is able to run and play cricket at that age.. better than many other guys.. 

HE is very educated and has knowledge in every field including medical.. He used to read about medicines that were given in hsopital and he himself told us that if he is in the hospital for long with such medication, he will not see India soil.. he will die in USA itself and that's exactly is what happened.. 

He never allowed us to sign any document in the hospital for responsibility.. Even in such abd health he signed himself in all documents..This really helped us.. We are not liable for any hospital bills as he signed himself.. Other wise we would have to pay $300, 000 bill now. 

naa left leg ki hole laga vachindhi kaka.. 3-4 months treatment thesukunna.. aa tests ee tests emi workout avvalae..aa foot Big Toe theseyyali annadu...    luckily ind plan vundae.. hyd lo digaka doctor deggara pothae - idhi corn infection ani bandage kattadu.. even after coming to US.. aa Corn bandages CVS Store/ Walmart lo dorukuthayi.. aa bandages continue chesa.. Got Cured finally.. Without removing mu Big Toe finally...

My FIL relative anta (I met him) ,yoga guru.. ii south ind editions pathanjali books lo athani photots kuda vuntayi.. edo kidney Prob.. Bcoz of some strict diet.. Ind lo they lost hopes.. He came to US, got cured and malli back to Delhi Pathanjali Ashram

it depends kaka.. nothing to get regretted..

And insurance antava.. mi FIL assignee pettukunnaru antunnavu... ??

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, surfroshan said:

asians dont often have the best customer service in most fields

my dad took treatment for stroke in India for 3 yrs. There was slight improvement. With Acupuncture treatment for 3 months (3 yrs after stroke) he got back more than 90% of life back in his legs. I do not care about customer service here. My priorities are in order. 

1 hour ago, TechSri said:

If there is health issue, go to india.  You won’t get any help here. Just for satisfaction and temporary relief they treat you.  India is best for it. I am not sure usa ni big country ani enduku antaru when health care is such a worst scam.  Asalu doctors kooda basic knowledge tho untaru and analysis is worst

Problem is not with doctors, but with system and hospitals. If you go to a doctor at a hospital, they ask a series of questions and enter the data in their computer, Computer shows the diagnosis and they just follow that. They may have a clue on what it could be other than diagnosis, but they don't tell, as they are scared of patient suing/legal battles. Adi problem. American medical system is based on prevention. Americans go regularly to doctor and when they get to a certain age and change in vitals, they put you on medication. That's one of the reason why they live longer.

However, in India we only go to a doctor if there is a serious problem. We are always in reactive mode. 

In general facilities and surgeon's are good in America. General doctors and troubleshooting and cost of medication is cheaper in India. 

I trust India anytime compared to USA. Also getting an appointment in India is easy (esp if you are willing to spend) or you have many options for hospitals/doctors where as its diff to get an appointment in USA. Everything takes time. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bankris said:

My father-in-law came to the USA last November. Suddenly he fell ill, and we took him to urgent care.. they charged $800.. gave him some medicines.. after a few days his condition worsened.. we took him to urgent care, and they asked us to take him to emergency. They admitted him in the hospital.. for four days and sent him home as his condition is stabilized.. he fell ill again in 10 days. went to emergency.. they admitted him for 15 days now and sent him home.. on the day they discharged him, we noticed he had lost hearing... and told the same to Doctor, and they neglected.. after coming home.. we realized he got severe ear infection.. lot of discharge from ear.. he was again admitted to hospital for 15 days.. and discharged.. after coming we noticed he has a lot of  rash on his head... and nurse came home and checked and confirmed it is shingless.. now again admitted to hospital for over a month...HE became very week and lost all muscle as didnt have solid food for almost 3 months by now.  Only liquid food.. Doctors couldn't diagnize what is the actual issues.. they did lot of MRI scans.. CT scans .. Chest Xrays... could not find anything.. They gave a lot of steroids... medicines.. anti-biotics.. We suffered a lot for 4 months.. with new born.. both me and my wife working and my father-in-law in hospital.. It was hell..

Finally, he passed away in hospital at the end of MAy.. The total bill came to $300,000.. Hospitals in USA are a big scam..

At any point had we taken my father-in-law to India, he would have survived.. Doctors here are very slow.. Laws are so that Doctors can't take independent decisions to give aggressive treatments.. Some of the Doctors are Indians and they themselves agreed that had it been in India, he would have survived... 

We couldn't take him to India coz none of us have stamping.. plus didn't get the passport yet. We asked many people and posted in many facebook groups that if there is anyone who can take them, we can pay the full charge... But, no luck..

Upon an extensive search in the internet, we found there are companies who transport such patients across countries after getting necessary approvals from doctors and airlines, and airports. Basically bed to bed service. They take patients from the hospital bed in USA to hospital bed in India.. They take care of everything.  But we came to very late.. They have 3 options. We hired the company called Air med services (https://airmedgroup.com).

1. Book a private air ambulance - $200,000 - They will send the patient in private jet with a doctor and trained nurse and equipment (oxygen, emergency medicines etc)

2. They will book 9-10 seats in the commercial airline to place a stretcher. A trained nurse will go with patient with all necessary equipment. This costs $60,000.

3. They will book a first class/business class seat in commercial airline and a trained nurse will accompany the patient with all necessary equipment. Any where between $20,000 to $30,000.

AS soon as we came to know about this service, we booked them by opting #3 option and paid $25,000. 

They booked the flights and contacts both source hospital (USA) and destination hospital (Vizag), checked the patient condition, got all necessary instructions from Doctors, approvals from airlines, ambulances from hospital to airlines were arranged.. But, unfortunately, two days before his travel , his condition went very bad and he passed away.. Our lives shattered, we didn't know what to do.. 

We complained to doctors hospital management.. we know there is obvious negligence from hospital side at every step.. They themselves know it.. They even asked if we want to do a autopsy.. But, we rejected. HE already suffered a lot in hospital. We didnt want his body to be cut.. We creamted him in here itself in USA (After speaking to his immediate family) in India.. My wife is his only child. 

The hospital could not sign on his death certificate until now. Its been almost two months now.. Usually, Death certificate will be signed within 2 weeks.. 

Hospitals and insurance companies are a big scam here in USA.. India is far better and far advanced than USA now a days.. Plus USA hospitals are very short-staffed now... 

Sorry all for the long post.. But, I guess this will be helpful for our Indian community.. HAd we know about that Air ambulance services 2 months before, we could have transfered him to India and he would have been alive.. 

He came to USA as a normal person.. now he is no more.. He is 67 years old.. no bad habits.. had been yoga guru for almost 2 decades.. he ahs been actively doing yoga all along.. a chemical engineer.. At that age also, he used to play with local Indian guys.. he was very passionate about Cricket and Tennis.. All guys used to be surprised that he is able to run and play cricket at that age.. better than many other guys.. 

HE is very educated and has knowledge in every field including medical.. He used to read about medicines that were given in hsopital and he himself told us that if he is in the hospital for long with such medication, he will not see India soil.. he will die in USA itself and that's exactly is what happened.. 

He never allowed us to sign any document in the hospital for responsibility.. Even in such abd health he signed himself in all documents..This really helped us.. We are not liable for any hospital bills as he signed himself.. Other wise we would have to pay $300, 000 bill now. 

Dear bro .. heartfelt sorry for your family loss. This is actually a big lesson for all to plan better for post 55-60 life. When we are working, earning things looks great, overconfident and energetic, we all feel on cloud and think nothing will wrong in our case. But this is a hard reality !

I am awestruck at few lines you gave "He is 67 years old.. no bad habits.. had been yoga guru for almost 2 decades.. he has been actively doing yoga all along" ... very unfortunate, but if you dont mind can you share what exactly happened to such a brave man ? Any new health complications showed up or any thing you noticed ? Regular health check-ups will reveal some indications though they need detailed examination.

2 minutes ago, neethy said:

Dear bro .. heartfelt sorry for your family loss. This is actually a big lesson for all to plan better for post 55-60 life. When we are working, earning things looks great, overconfident and energetic, we all feel on cloud and think nothing will wrong in our case. But this is a hard reality !

I am awestruck at few lines you gave "He is 67 years old.. no bad habits.. had been yoga guru for almost 2 decades.. he has been actively doing yoga all along" ... very unfortunate, but if you dont mind can you share what exactly happened to such a brave man ? Any new health complications showed up or any thing you noticed ? Regular health check-ups will reveal some indications though they need detailed examination.

He came to USA.. got COVID from my toddler who was going to day care that time. went to emergency. They gave medication, steroids etc and he became well after a while. HE was fully vaccinated with two main doeses and boosters back in India. 

Later he got aspiration issues.. Whatever food he was eating was going into his lungs and becoming infected. Doctors couldn't detect that initially and they were treating to be COVID as he was testing positive. So, they stopped solid food and were given only a liquid diet from the beginning and s.. Basically, here is what their first negligence. When they know food is going into his lungs, they should stop giving liquids and should only give semi-liquids by mixing thickeners. even water he should not take directly.. he should take only after mixing with thickeners.. They would get to know this had they did a simple dye test. We came to know about this from doctors in India and suggested the same to doctors here. But, they didn't listen to us and were giving him liquid foods continuously.. After almost 2 months,, they realized and did a dye test and found a hole in the food pipe and realized that liquid food should not be given.. so, they changed the course. Meanwhile, when uncle was in ICU for so many days, he became delusional.. contracted a very bad ear infection and also shingles.. So, they had to treat those first.. even with Shingles, and ear infections, they sent home and asked us to give IV from home. A nurse came home and trained my wife on giving IV. his situation was deteriorating day by day.. Basically they were treating for lung infection on one side and on the other side they were screwing his lungs by giving only liquid diets.. his entire health got messed up. he lost hearing on both ears.. in the last whole month, we could communicate with him with a whiteboard and marker.. We have seen him in suffering and in pain so much. 

Finally, they realized all was messed up, and they admitted him to ICU.. after 3 days again they were discharging him and forcing us to come to the hospital and take him home.. Me and my wife were both in the middle of meetings and we can calls from a number of people from hospital to come and take him home. including the director.. When we went to hospital to bring him home, they changed rout and doctors were asking us why he is being discharged and why we are taking him home.. So, they messed up everything.. no communication between doctors and management,, nursing staff. We really didnt know what was happening.. They moved him from ICU to regular rooma nd then again to ICU.. they literally confused us a lot.. It was hell of three months for us with having a toddler, new born baby and both of us working and taking turns to be in hospital during day and night..

I work in finance and so i can;t connect in hospital network. so, i was working from home in day time and my wife was working from the hospital during day (leaving the new born baby at home), and i used to stay at home in the daytime.. and stay in the hospital at night. daily taking my toddler son to day care and feeding my infant baby with bottles. we literally cried every day for a solution and help.. There was gross negligence by hospital at every step.. He came to USA as a normal person in November.. By MAy he couldn't even get up from bed to even eat or drink.. HE lost a lot of weight and muscle.. Finally his heart rate went over 150 and respiration rate became very high and his lungs stopped working.. 

Finally, I think God gave us a solution by taking him away from us. That was our fate..

Even the death in USA is not cheap.. cremation costs anywhere between 5K to 20K.. The priest took almost $2000 in teh name of various services and dasa daanalu and then temple donation.. 

in last 5 months.. we spent almost $46,000 dolalrs in cash for all these (including paying to air medical services).. paying to hospitals..

5 hours ago, veerigadu said:

Healthcare lo India is the best. Chala Mandhiii vomericans kudaaa Mexico and other south vomerjcan countries potharuuuu for less financial obligations. Anyways, sorry to hear this man.

After reading all these nightmare experiences, I don’t think we should invite parents as much here. It’s better if we can spare that $2000 and visit them every year. It’s just too risky for them to be here. From a health perspective. Paisal pakkana peditheee pranaleee pothunnayiii 

I was shocked to see African/Arab colonies in Bangkok when I visited. It seems arabs come there for medical treatment , stay in 5 star hotels, enjoy food, shopping, get medical treatmet and overall they spend only 1/3 of what it costs in arab countries it seems.

A lot of african ppl come to india for medical treatment.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bankris said:

Sir, I live in a small town and we do have only one big hospital. The next big hospital is like 75 miles away. Logistically, it was impossible for us to admit him in such a distance for me to hand a toddler, and infant baby, and a healing wife. Plus, we were trusting the hospital and the doctors.. We know the reality aftermath.. not before hand.

Yeah at what expense .. if a hospital or doctor  is not solving your problem then why we are going to same hospital adhi kuda usa lo .. Emergency lo chala hospitals theskuntayi I feel you don’t have enough friends in usa then why didn’t you post your problem in any forums they would have advised .. I feel in this case we didn’t take him properly to the hospital as we don’t have proper insurance and money for the hospitals … 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bankris said:

He came to USA.. got COVID from my toddler who was going to day care that time. went to emergency. They gave medication, steroids etc and he became well after a while. HE was fully vaccinated with two main doeses and boosters back in India. 

Later he got aspiration issues.. Whatever food he was eating was going into his lungs and becoming infected. Doctors couldn't detect that initially and they were treating to be COVID as he was testing positive. So, they stopped solid food and were given only a liquid diet from the beginning and s.. Basically, here is what their first negligence. When they know food is going into his lungs, they should stop giving liquids and should only give semi-liquids by mixing thickeners. even water he should not take directly.. he should take only after mixing with thickeners.. They would get to know this had they did a simple dye test. We came to know about this from doctors in India and suggested the same to doctors here. But, they didn't listen to us and were giving him liquid foods continuously.. After almost 2 months,, they realized and did a dye test and found a hole in the food pipe and realized that liquid food should not be given.. so, they changed the course. Meanwhile, when uncle was in ICU for so many days, he became delusional.. contracted a very bad ear infection and also shingles.. So, they had to treat those first.. even with Shingles, and ear infections, they sent home and asked us to give IV from home. A nurse came home and trained my wife on giving IV. his situation was deteriorating day by day.. Basically they were treating for lung infection on one side and on the other side they were screwing his lungs by giving only liquid diets.. his entire health got messed up. he lost hearing on both ears.. in the last whole month, we could communicate with him with a whiteboard and marker.. We have seen him in suffering and in pain so much. 

Finally, they realized all was messed up, and they admitted him to ICU.. after 3 days again they were discharging him and forcing us to come to the hospital and take him home.. Me and my wife were both in the middle of meetings and we can calls from a number of people from hospital to come and take him home. including the director.. When we went to hospital to bring him home, they changed rout and doctors were asking us why he is being discharged and why we are taking him home.. So, they messed up everything.. no communication between doctors and management,, nursing staff. We really didnt know what was happening.. They moved him from ICU to regular rooma nd then again to ICU.. they literally confused us a lot.. It was hell of three months for us with having a toddler, new born baby and both of us working and taking turns to be in hospital during day and night..

I work in finance and so i can;t connect in hospital network. so, i was working from home in day time and my wife was working from the hospital during day (leaving the new born baby at home), and i used to stay at home in the daytime.. and stay in the hospital at night. daily taking my toddler son to day care and feeding my infant baby with bottles. we literally cried every day for a solution and help.. There was gross negligence by hospital at every step.. He came to USA as a normal person in November.. By MAy he couldn't even get up from bed to even eat or drink.. HE lost a lot of weight and muscle.. Finally his heart rate went over 150 and respiration rate became very high and his lungs stopped working.. 

Finally, I think God gave us a solution by taking him away from us. That was our fate..

You could sue them. Naaku kooda medical negligence valla serious ayyindi. ICU lo pettaaru but tests emi cheyyamu annaru. Asalu ICU lo petti Em peekuthunnaru and mee negligence valla ila ayyindi meeru full body tests anni cheyyakapothe sue chestham ani family members bediristhe anni tests chesaaru. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bankris said:

Apeseyi uncle it’s very heart breaking .. india lo doctors vadhu anna ekadi doctors ela trust cheshavu man naku asalu nammabudhi kavatledhu 2 months papam Thanu entha struggle ayyado can’t understand your concern.. do you know I travel daily 75 miles one way 150 miles five days a week …for 6 years … Antha pedda posters pedutharu kadha man take second opinion ani .. all we need is common sense 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rushabhi said:

At the same time friend valla mother ni US lo save chesaru. India vellinaaka medical negligence tho chanipoyaru

i already tolded india lo evvaru dekaru ani