what dog to buy for a first timer

SaradaChinnodu

2 hours ago, Sanjiv said:

I have both. Cats are easy to care for and they rule the internet. they are always curious, get into everything and follow us wherever we go which makes them interesting.

if you are a frequent traveler, dogs are not meant for you as they are very dependent even to walk them outside. I also looked into adopting a monkey but for all their human-like intelligence, they still need a diaper and we need to wipe them and clean them whereas even a baby kitten can take care of herself 100% licking/grooming her body all day and night, licking her butt and keeping herself squeaky clean - they don't need a bath (a cat's stomach is immune to bacteria in their urine and poop). So even when a monkey is 40 year old, you would be wiping a 40-year old man's butt! Monkeys are very social animals, need someone around 24/7 and it is illegal to own them in some states.

as far as intelligence goes, the dog falls somewhere between the cat and the monkey. cats are terribly untrainable but hours of fun while monkeys can do so many feats without any training. I wonder how cats make half-a-dozen babies, carry them from place to place with just their mouth scavenging for food (no hands, no fingers and no voice) and raise them on the streets while we super smart humans with hands, fingers, voice to talk and a brain to think and all the privileged comforts like housing, supplies, transportation, support - see the stars to conceive and raise just one baby.

just remember - unlike dogs, cats are KINGS and QUEENS and we are their slaves! Treat them Royally. A domestic cat shares 95.6% DNA from a Tiger and the cat is technically just a wild animal living in our house! you can drag a cat to its food but you cannot make her eat! she will eat when she wants to, at her terms. They are very wise, serious and no-BS. Period.

a cat picks one person in the family as its companion - the one who spends more time with her and cares for her. they are meat eaters and it is criminal to feed them vegetarian. if you are vegan or cannot stand the sight/smell of meat items, well...

Hence why I love cats more than dogs. They are fun, sassy and bossy. There is a wild cat near house which my kids feed food. It did not allow them to touch until 1.5 month even though they gave food. Its fearless, even hisses at dogs and stands its ground. We call him THUNDER. He got used to us and one day followed my kid to our house. Next day he followed them to school and to play ground. Never seen any cat like that. More of a dog in him than a cat.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Konebhar6 said:

Hence why I love cats more than dogs. They are fun, sassy and bossy. There is a wild cat near house which my kids feed food. It did not allow them to touch until 1.5 month even though they gave food. Its fearless, even hisses at dogs and stands its ground. We call him THUNDER. He got used to us and one day followed my kid to our house. Next day he followed them to school and to play ground. Never seen any cat like that. More of a dog in him than a cat.

street cats are either stray or feral - they are fearless and don't allow others to approach them. It takes time to re-domesticate them before they allow us near them and touch them. Dogs are no match for cats.

From ChatGPT -

Stray cats are socialized to people and can be re-socialized and adopted into homes. Feral cats are not socialized to people and are happy living outdoors.

Stray cats were once pets who have either become lost or were abandoned. They may have escaped, gotten lost, or were abandoned. Depending on how long ago they left their indoor home, they may not be dependent on humans anymore.

Because a stray cat was once a companion animal, they usually can be re-socialized and placed in an adoptive home. A feral cat is a domestic cat that was lost or abandoned and has reverted to a wild state or a cat that was born to a stray or feral mother and had little or no human contact.

Feral cats are domestic cats that were lost or abandoned and have reverted to a wild state. They may have had little or no human contact. They are socialized to their feline family members and bonded to each other, but they do not have that same relationship with people. They are happy living outdoors and are unlikely to ever become lap cats or enjoy living indoors.

Feral cats are very difficult to socialize. They tend to stay away from humans, hide during the day, and when adopted, are very difficult to socialize.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SaradaChinnodu said:

bro....first time dog buyer

requirements:

1) apartment friendly or small space friendly ( we live in town house)

2) Does not require intensive physical activity (lekapote naku vachipothundi)

3) Friendly, Intelligent and tolerant breed 

4) Not of high maintenance

Suggestions emaina unte iyyandi..highly appreciated!!!

Jack Russell Terrier 

I have two dogs now. I had no experience with dogs until I met my wife. My wife’s family always had dogs in their household.

Yes. As others have mentioned it’s a lot of work. There is no doubt about it.

But it’s totally worth it for me. If you have a nice big backyard, they don’t need you to take them for a walk. They can just run around and get themself all worked out. They are very loyal loving creatures on the face of earth. Period. Kukka viswasam is different level. Sometimes it’s mind blowing. 

The downside of having a dog are….They are like a child. They need constant attention. And they also tend to fall sick. You have to be ready for vet bills as well. Traveling plans will take a beating. Unless you have a friend who is willing to dog sit for you. 

In my case, I can’t imagine my life without a dog ever. It’s an addiction. 

We always adopt dogs from a adoption agency. Just to give them a nice life. This is my wife’s idea btw. This has always been her modus operandi. I suggest you end up with a mutt. Usually pure breeds have more genetic issues. I suggest any mixed breed dogs. Preferably with Australian cattle dog and some Shepard/golden ret kind. They are loyal and healthy. 

• Thanks 1

Worst thing enti ante. People adopt a dog and then they give up after few days. It breaks their heart big time. I have seen some dogs literally cry every day when they are thrown back to adoption agency again. Dogs have feelings too. Don’t mess with them. 

@SaradaChinnoduUnless you are really sure. Don’t adopt a dog please. My sincere suggestion. This is not a Tesla car decision. Mana desi gallakiii konchem kastameee dogs and their care taking thing. We tend to be lazy and selfish. So it is not easy for us. 

Honestly if not for my wife, I would have never considered a dog. Mana mindset from childhood alantidhiii…we think about our money our job and our enjoyment. That’s it. We don’t realize how self obsessed our culture is.

Anyways, take a wise decision. If you decide to go ahead with it. I promise you will not regret it. 

1 hour ago, veerigadu said:

Worst thing enti ante. People adopt a dog and then they give up after few days. It breaks their heart big time. I have seen some dogs literally cry every day when they are thrown back to adoption agency again. Dogs have feelings too. Don’t mess with them. 

@SaradaChinnoduUnless you are really sure. Don’t adopt a dog please. My sincere suggestion. This is not a Tesla car decision. Mana desi gallakiii konchem kastameee dogs and their care taking thing. We tend to be lazy and selfish. So it is not easy for us. 

Honestly if not for my wife, I would have never considered a dog. Mana mindset from childhood alantidhiii…we think about our money our job and our enjoyment. That’s it. We don’t realize how self obsessed our culture is.

Anyways, take a wise decision. If you decide to go ahead with it. I promise you will not regret it. 

traveling appudu its very tough, 
ade reason toh I never wanted a dog, pandemic appudu baga anipinchindii I should get one ani. 

3 hours ago, veerigadu said:

I have two dogs now. I had no experience with dogs until I met my wife. My wife’s family always had dogs in their household.

Yes. As others have mentioned it’s a lot of work. There is no doubt about it.

But it’s totally worth it for me. If you have a nice big backyard, they don’t need you to take them for a walk. They can just run around and get themself all worked out. They are very loyal loving creatures on the face of earth. Period. Kukka viswasam is different level. Sometimes it’s mind blowing. 

The downside of having a dog are….They are like a child. They need constant attention. And they also tend to fall sick. You have to be ready for vet bills as well. Traveling plans will take a beating. Unless you have a friend who is willing to dog sit for you. 

In my case, I can’t imagine my life without a dog ever. It’s an addiction. 

We always adopt dogs from a adoption agency. Just to give them a nice life. This is my wife’s idea btw. This has always been her modus operandi. I suggest you end up with a mutt. Usually pure breeds have more genetic issues. I suggest any mixed breed dogs. Preferably with Australian cattle dog and some Shepard/golden ret kind. They are loyal and healthy. 

Thanks bro @veerigadufor your feedback....I can say you spoke your heart here! 

3 hours ago, veerigadu said:

Respect ! Real words!

sure bro, I will give it some thought and time before I make a decision. Definitely sounds like a commitment!

Glad to know that you are having fun with your doggies! Your wife seems to have a kind heart! God bless you both!

11 hours ago, crackerhp said:

It would be the best decision ever. You will be more active and you will smile a lot more than before. Sacrifices you make would be an hr of your time everyday and lose travel flexibility, other than this everything else is manageable I think. First time dog owner/parent here. 

em dog bro...

1 hour ago, Konebhar6 said:

Interesting. Never viewed monkey as a pet. Intrigued now.

yeah, hands and fingers, some brain (cannot be potty-trained, need diapers), no voice that can speak.

My relatives in India used to have a monkey pet in a small tree house for it. While dogs can live up to 13 years, cats up to 18 years, monkeys can live up to 40.

In US, it is illegal to own a monkey in 19 states, including in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont, and Wyoming.

They're potentially dangerous because they are wild animals - while they might look cute, they can become aggressive when they mature and have been known to bite and attack their owners. Not suitable as house pets - primates need space, companions and mental stimulation. They're unhappy in a home environment and can become aggressive. They need the company of other monkeys and lots of space for exercise, which they simply can't get in a home environment.

• Upvote 1

On 8/30/2023 at 4:27 PM, csrcsr said:

Chinna kukka pilla muddu ga undedi tisuko bro naa lanti odiki bayam kakunda kukka pilla , emotion ante masthu istam but bayam

@Sucker @tennisIuvrredux  @Shameless dog owners oka thread unde chala mandji unaru who have dogs

@SaradaChinnodu bro...go with small dogs if you like them...less cleaning and less maintenance...inka kukka pillani etthokini nuvvu baita thirigithe, full porilu and aunties nee venaka padatharu

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2023 at 2:57 AM, csrcsr said:

Chinna kukka pilla muddu ga undedi tisuko bro naa lanti odiki bayam kakunda kukka pilla , emotion ante masthu istam but bayam

@Sucker @tennisIuvrredux  @Shameless dog owners oka thread unde chala mandji unaru who have dogs

Niku bayam kadhanna peg esav ante KMPD kukka ni em chesthavo ani