Your favorite Philosophers?

Allasaani_Peddana

I feel like everyone should read yoga vashistam (teachings of vashista to Rama) and meditations by Marcus Aerlius

Marcus was the emperor or Rome and Rama was the emperor of Bharath. The parallels between these two books are mind blowing. The most richest and powerful talk about their unhappiness and their struggles. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Allasaani_Peddana

• pushparaj

• Midnightsun

• quest

Popular Days

29 minutes ago, pushparaj said:

e naluguru 

Annamacharya

adi shankara 

Gautama Buddha 

Marcus Aurelius 

Arthur Schopenhauer was fascinated by Upanishads and Buddhism. He was the first Western philosopher to have similar conclusions to that of the East and he came to those conclusions on his own. Marcus Aurelius's stoic ideals is fascinating but I never understood the starting point to be a stoic. I wish I could.

2 minutes ago, Allasaani_Peddana said:

Arthur Schopenhauer was fascinated by Upanishads and Buddhism. He was the first Western philosopher to have similar conclusions to that of the East and he came to those conclusions on his own. Marcus Aurelius's stoic ideals is fascinating but I never understood the starting point to be a stoic. I wish I could.

Sthitaprajna Ani Bhagavadgita lo unde same concept “stoic” ante

1 minute ago, pushparaj said:

Sthitaprajna Ani Bhagavadgita lo unde same concept “stoic” ante

Stoic meaning telusu. What I don't understand is the required framework to be a stoic.

31 minutes ago, pushparaj said:

Amazon and YouTube. If you directly read upanishads, you will be very disappointed and may call them BS(I did it years back as I didn’t understand) 

Read viveka chudamani by adi Shankara.

I went from western philosophers(neitzsche, Socrates, Plato, Kant). I was left with lot of more questions. Then I started reading Lord buddha(thich nhat Hahn is an amazing teacher and have tons of books. I highly recommend him. I consider him as my teacher who opened the doors of spirituality to me). I was still not satisfied and started reading Indian philosophy. It is the most fascinating thing I’ve ever read. Adi shankara, swami vivekananda, swami chinmayananda, annamacharya books are good start. Don’t read books based on Vedanta directly. Focus on one author and read it. Good luck

thank you!

14 minutes ago, Allasaani_Peddana said:

Stoic meaning telusu. What I don't understand is the required framework to be a stoic.

Framework will be built only by yourself by reading or watching on YouTube.  Gita is good. Thich nhat Hahn cleared a lot of my doubts. 
 This is the most helpful book for me: The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation

Opika unte edhi. It’s very long but worth it. 

1 minute ago, pushparaj said:

Framework will be built only by yourself by reading or watching on YouTube.  Gita is good. Thich nhat Hahn cleared a lot of my doubts. 
 This is the most helpful book for me: The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation

Will check. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Allasaani_Peddana said:

Will check. Thank you.

Thich nhat Hahn have a podcast also on iPhone. I shared it with a friend. He said it’s too slow or boring. Lol. I can’t blame him. 

manam thondaralo untam edho cheseyali ani. Endhuko theliyadhu. I used to be like that too. 

9 minutes ago, Midnightsun said:

How did the philosophers earn back then..

doing part times

side gigs!

I really wish karl marx should have been born in this era..

Corporate philosopher ga brathikese vallu ee era lo born ayi unte

16 minutes ago, Midnightsun said:

I think most of them came from affluent families. Arthur Schopenhauer, Nietzsche were fairly rich I believe.

2 hours ago, Midnightsun said:

doing part times

side gigs!

I really wish karl marx should have been born in this era..

Through community offerings and followers in India.

That’s the whole point. They didn’t need much. Socrates himself was living on the streets

thyagarajas situation was really bad. King sent him lot of gold and asked him to come to the Royal court. He famously sang “nidhi sukhama raamuni sannidhi sukhama”