Job offer 1 or Job offer 2 ???

Googlie

Posting on behalf of ex-colleague. He said his post was not approved on Indian expats

please suggest choice that is best or any other choices he has 

I am Based out of Florida, living with my wife and 2 year old kid. I am on H1B visa . I have below 2 job offers and kindly suggest which is the best: 

Job 1: 

5 days a week office - 9 to 5

It’s a Corporate policy that all company employees from CEO to Maintenance crew should be on-site 5 days a week

Daily 2 hour travel time (both ways) so it’s 10 hour a week travel time to office 

31 days paid vacation in year 

1 week of leave will carry forward 

However no flexibility to work from home/ remote/ from India during a visit trip etc. Need to be on leave if not in office 

Base package is less than market rate - HR is quoting it’s because the bonuses are good

Base salary is 12% less than Job 2 
But total Pay is 18% more than Job 2 because this have good Short (15%) and long term (15% vested stocks) Bonuses 

Client is also  based out of Florida so No State Tax 

10,000 sign on bonus 

Job 2: (Manf. Client) 
16 paid vacation days (including sick leaves)
No vacation will carry forward 

2 days a week in office 

Can work remote and also work from India during india trip 

They have office in India, so in case of visa issues they run payroll in INR and get the issue sorted out and bring back to US 

Needs relocation to Minnesota 

Will give 10,000 relocation package 

Weekly 2.5 hours of travel time as it’s 2-3 day a week office 

Other benefits are same b/w both companies

My Parents are elder with minor age related health issues and worried if it will be a problem with emergency India visit or stay for sometime if they get sick etc. If I take Job 1 …. 
——————————————-
What is the best choice: 
———————————————

Choice 1: 
Ask Job 2 HR if I can work from Florida for 3 weeks and be on-site at Minnesota for 1 week a month from Day 1 

Expenses will be beared by me as I will be saving on State income tax if based out of Florida 

FYI, company allows 100% remote after the resource gains knowledge on company operations and applications. It’s usually after 1-2 years. So can work 100% from Florida after 2 years. 

Choice 2:
Ask HR to increase base package by 5000-7000$ instead of $10000 sign on bonus so that base pay is a bit closer to market standard 
and consider a 10 days out of 25 days of paid vacation and the extra 18% pay as extra earnings for going to office 5 days a week and also take 1-2 month leave when the need comes for parents and have to travel to India

There are so many other factors involved. Only your friend or someone close to him can answer proper.

Does his wife also work? If yes, can she work remotely. Is he willing to leave her alone in here and go to India? If not, he may not stay in India for longer period. So allowing to work from India may not matter much.

If wife is not working, can he relocate to new place? How much is property tax difference, living expenses difference? If relocating why 2.5 hours commute?

Work culture, growth opportunities, RSU vesting schedule so many other things..

Best thing is do what ever his wife prefers him to do..

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

Posting on behalf of ex-colleague. He said his post was not approved on Indian expats

I am Based out of Florida, living with my wife and 2 year old kid. I am on H1B visa . I have below 2 job offers and kindly suggest which is the best: 

Job 1: 

It’s a Corporate policy that all company employees from CEO to Maintenance crew should be on-site 5 days a week

Daily 2 hour travel time (both ways) so it’s 10 hour a week travel time to office 

However no flexibility to work from home/ remote/ from India during a visit trip etc. Need to be on leave if not in office 

Base package is less than market rate - HR is quoting it’s because the bonuses are good

But total Pay is 18% more than Job 2 because this have good Short (15%) and long term (15% vested stocks) Bonuses 

10,000 sign on bonus 

2 days a week in office 

They have office in India, so in case of visa issues they run payroll in INR and get the issue sorted out and bring back to US 

My Parents are elder with minor age related health issues and worried if it will be a problem with emergency India visit or stay for sometime if they get sick etc. If I take Job 1 …. 
——————————————-
What is the best choice: 
———————————————

Choice 1: 
Ask Job 2 HR if I can work from Florida for 3 weeks and be on-site at Minnesota for 1 week a month from Day 1 

Expenses will be beared by me as I will be saving on State income tax if based out of Florida 

FYI, company allows 100% remote after the resource gains knowledge on company operations and applications. It’s usually after 1-2 years. So can work 100% from Florida after 2 years. 

Choice 2:
Ask HR to increase base package by 5000-7000$ instead of $10000 sign on bonus so that base pay is a bit closer to market standard 
and consider a 10 days out of 25 days of paid vacation and the extra 18% pay as extra earnings for going to office 5 days a week and also take 1-2 month leave when the need comes for parents and have to travel to India

Without any doubt go with Choice 2. Negotiate a bit more. You will be happy there.

15 minutes ago, Konebhar6 said:

Without any doubt go with Choice 2. Negotiate a bit more. You will be happy there.

interview munde enta expectation ani aduguthunnaru.....kunchem ekkuva adigithe asalu intial screening ki kuda pampadam ledu.   market is bad

10 hours ago, Googlie said:

Job 1: 

10,000 sign on bonus 

2 days a week in office 

——————————————-
What is the best choice: 
———————————————

Choice 1: 

Choice 2:

Your friend should discuss with his wife and decide what is better for their family. 

take both jobs and u can say to the second job HR i can start in 3 weeks. first job 2 weeks chesi nachute continue with 1st or move with 2nd job. don't look for benefits less stress job tesuko

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Variety_Pullayya said:

interview munde enta expectation ani aduguthunnaru.....kunchem ekkuva adigithe asalu intial screening ki kuda pampadam ledu.   market is bad

Negotiation is an art. Initially you need to understand their salary range and agree hypothetically. After interview, depending on how it went, you can stretch a bit without breaking deal.

• Upvote 1