Insurance Question-HSA

prince143

I'm on an HDHP plan and have been contributing to HSA for two years. Planning to add my wife to my plan. She is currently working and we file taxes jointly. 

Can I use my HSA amount accumulated for her medical expenses? The below article says we can

https://hsastore.com/learn-who-can-i-cover-hsa.html

A Quick HSA Coverage Overview

In Publication 969, the IRS clarifies that you can withdraw tax-free money from your HSA to pay for qualified medical expenses for:

• Yourself
  • Your spouse (regardless of whether you file taxes jointly or separately)
  • Any HSA eligible dependents you claim on your tax return (your children, or a qualifying relative dependent) and any children who are claimed on your ex-spouse's tax return 
  • Anyone you could have claimed as a dependent, but weren't able to because he or she filed a joint tax return (for example, your married teenage kid who files a joint return with his or her spouse) earned more than $4,400 (in 2022), or you (or your spouse, if you file jointly) could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return

@phatposts

28 minutes ago, prince143 said:

I'm on an HDHP plan and have been contributing to HSA for two years. Planning to add my wife to my plan. She is currently working and we file taxes jointly. 

Can I use my HSA amount accumulated for her medical expenses? The below article says we can

In Publication 969, the IRS clarifies that you can withdraw tax-free money from your HSA to pay for qualified medical expenses for:

• Yourself
  • Any HSA eligible dependents you claim on your tax return (your children, or a qualifying relative dependent) and any children who are claimed on your ex-spouse's tax return 
  • Anyone you could have claimed as a dependent, but weren't able to because he or she filed a joint tax return (for example, your married teenage kid who files a joint return with his or her spouse) earned more than $4,400 (in 2022), or you (or your spouse, if you file jointly) could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return

@phatposts

the answer is yes .. you can use your accumulated expenses for your wife's bills 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, prince143 said:

• Yourself

@phatposts

Yes you can. They dont really check or care as long as they are getting money. My friend has been paying even for his daughters who are not on his plan. They are all majors.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, prince143 said:

• Yourself

@phatposts

Bro are U KPMg or deloitte

14 hours ago, prince143 said:

• Yourself

@phatposts

Using HSA funds for Family and non-adult kids is always permitted. 

There is some clause to be able to use the money for adult kids too - something like financial situation, lack of good coverage etc. 

13 hours ago, MysoreJackson said:

I heard more or less all plans at the end are same like HDHP or PPO, can anyone comfirm. I need to decide between both … 

Only HDHP plans are eligible to save in HSA account

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, prince143 said:

• Yourself

@phatposts

Yes you can  use it for you and your immediate like spouse/kids.. They don't usually check who you are paying for .. i heard they IRS can ask for proof in rare cases so make sure you save your receipts and bills that includes names just incase